Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Ummmm...flopped a full house!?!?!?!

You're right. This is a high variance play, but that doesn't make it -EV. From the reads in this post, I think he's ahead, but you never know, I've seen donks minraise/limp with AA or KK plenty of times. Just hope this isn't one of those times...
Old 08-02-2005, 02:32 PM

Yeah, and I think it's not clear that it's a +EV either, which is why I would err on the side of caution and lower variance, which is always my preference. Also, I think he would play 10-10, J-J, and K-K the same way after the flop. If I have J-J in that spot I'm pretty sure it's good, and I don't want someone with A-2o to spike an ace on me. So I don't think it's clear that his all in is a sign of weakness. But in the end, I think the call or fold is basically what your stomach can take.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:51 PM

I think more often then not, your hand is good here. However, it really depends on the hands you've seen this guy in - especially the ones where both you and him were involved in action. If he's bet a lot into you frequently and you've folded to his big bets, then your hand is more likely to be good here because he'll probably be thinking you're going to fold and he might do this with anything. Your thinking and calling on flop probably indicates weakness to him.

However, this logic can be reversed on you. If he's been very aggressive lately, he does have a queen, and he's a smart LAG then he could put you on a mid PP and try to get a doubleup call.

I think a high PP is not very likely here. Most of the time with an aggressive player a small preflop raise means his hand is small. If he's a smart LAG, he won't be pushing this with AA. However, this is largley read dependent. You almost have to have some reads on what this guy will raise to 2xbb with.

Basically, I think most of the time he's on a mid/low PP or face cards <font color="black"> </font> . Therefore, its a +EV play to call against a very aggressive postflop player.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:09 PM

Pot raise the flop to see where you are at. Makes the hand easier to play IMO