Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Is it appropriate to ask ...

Here, at 7 players the rake drops to $3 max (from $5), and at 5 it's $2. 5 is the minimum for a hand to be jackpot eligible, and it will be automatically if the pot hits $20.

The dealers are supposed to automatically adjust the rake (and will notify on a push if the game is short), though they on rare occasions will forget.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:12 PM

Sometimes its good to ask, so they end up filling the table.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:41 AM

Dude, ALWAYS try to get reduced rake.

If it's five handed (half a game) and they won't drop the rake in half, consider quitting.

Don't play three handed with any more than $1 in rake.

$2 max rake with four players is borderlining on unplayable.

NEVER be afraid to ask for lowered rake. NEVER be afraid to make sure the floor knows you are leaving the game because they weren't willing to reduce the rake in a short-handed situation.

In most rooms, six or seven handed will always be considered a full game, so don't over-do it here expecting too much.

In situations where there is a time charge rather than a rake, these suggestions might not apply.

al
Old 07-26-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, ALWAYS try to get reduced rake.

If it's five handed (half a game) and they won't drop the rake in half, consider quitting.

Don't play three handed with any more than $1 in rake.

$2 max rake with four players is borderlining on unplayable.

NEVER be afraid to ask for lowered rake. NEVER be afraid to make sure the floor knows you are leaving the game because they weren't willing to reduce the rake in a short-handed situation.

In most rooms, six or seven handed will always be considered a full game, so don't over-do it here expecting too much.

In situations where there is a time charge rather than a rake, these suggestions might not apply.

al

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to concur with everything Capone says on this matter. Just please don't be one of those nits that when it becomes 8 handed you start whining for a rake reduction or to combine games.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just please don't be one of those nits that when it becomes 8 handed you start whining for a rake reduction or to combine games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy cow, there's an open seat! We're SHORT HANDED!!!! Call the friggin' pope!!!

Can we combine the tables? There's only a total of 19 players!!!! That's REALLY short handed!!!! Rake reduction!!!!!

Seat open already!!! It's been FIVE FRIGGIN' GODDAMN SECONDS!!!! IS THERE A LIST OR WHAT!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, and while you're at it, can we get a setup?

Ch-chk (sound of shotgun shell being loaded into chamber) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al
Old 07-26-2005, 10:01 AM

Every decent cardroom will reduce the rake if the game is short-handed, you just have to ask. Where I play it goes to a $2 max 6-handed and $1 max with 5 or less. The only time I have ever been denied this request was at the Mandalay Bay. We were down to 5 players and I asked the dealer and the floorman came over. He got a strange look on his face and shook his head no. I asked him if he had ever worked in a cardroom before tonight, racked up my chips, and walked out.