Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 07-22-2005, 12:17 AM

Default PL Hand #4

Seat 1: villain1 ( $23.93 )
Seat 8: SB ( $23.59 )
Seat 7: villain2 ( $21.65 )
Seat 10: Hero ( $49.35 )

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
I call, villain1 calls, 1 more call, villain2 calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB min bets, BB calls, I raise pot, villain1 calls, villain2 calls, SB calls.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero?

Villian1 is the typical low level donk, SB is very loose passive, and villain2 is very loose aggressive (SB from the other hand).

Obviously this is an ugly turn, should I check fold? Should I have attempted to call with the intent to re-raise on the flop?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:30 AM

Default Re: PL Hand #4

push. the pot should be big enough that this bet will put them all all-in. and you almost definitely have more equity in the pot than is required given the odds you will create.

Also, your flop action is right.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:33 AM

I would check, and see what the players behind you do. With 4 players still in, you don't lose anything if you get quartered for the low. I think I would check-raise here, and try to get another A2 to fold. I doubt it would happen at this level, but you can give it a shot.

ChewyMint
Old 07-22-2005, 01:05 AM

Pre-flop: Pot it.
Flop: Pot it.
Turn: Pot it.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:54 AM

Hmm, I think check-call and push are both viable here.

I actually think check-call is best, but it would just be cool to find a good spot to use the Stormtrooper Principle of Collusively Stupid Entanglement, so I'll reco push as well.

The most important thing here is the size of the pot in relation to how much money is left behind. You all have effectively $17 or so left, and the pot is about $21. So your first goal is to win the thing outright. But you are certainly beat for high with no chance to win high. And I don't see an A2 folding here.

So given that you have 0 fold equity and are going to show down, your next best objective is to have as many opponents as possible.

If you push, I can't see an A2 folding here. If someone else pushed here would you fold A2 if say second to act? So i really don't think you'll push them out. But if you check, there are some high hands that might stay in or call that you'd like to see stick around, and some A3 that might decide to stay.

If everyone had, say $35 left, then there is lots of value in pushing as a bare A2 might then fold, as your bet demonstrates commits you, thus demonstrating your Stupidity nicely.

--Greg
Old 07-22-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If everyone had, say $35 left, then there is lots of value in pushing as a bare A2 might then fold, as your bet demonstrates commits you, thus demonstrating your Stupidity nicely.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you calling me supid [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] (I know, reference to wintermutes post)
Old 07-22-2005, 10:36 AM

The reason that I was questioning this hand was because I am 90% sure that I am beat for the high (how can there be 4 players in this pot without 1 having the flush) and I am 99% sure $25 donks are not going to lay down A2. In my mind I am really only playing for 1/2 the pot any praying that I am not going to get 1/4ed and I really don't like that situation.

I check called to try and get other players into this pot so that it didn't hurt very much if I got 1/4ed.

Turn:
I check, villain1 bets $6, villain2 calls, I call.

River: brick.
I check, villain1 goes all in for $8 more, villain2 fold, I call.

Showdown:
Villain1 was playing A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. However I am happy that I managed to get out of this hand with my stack mostly intact.

My question for those who said to push the turn: Am I wrong in thinking that there is no way that my 10’s will hold up or am I wrong in thinking that another A2 will not fold? Cause if I am right about these questions it seems like I want as many players in this pot as I can get and pushing really wouldn’t accomplish that.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My question for those who said to push the turn: Am I wrong in thinking that there is no way that my 10’s will hold up or am I wrong in thinking that another A2 will not fold? Cause if I am right about these questions it seems like I want as many players in this pot as I can get and pushing really wouldn’t accomplish that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Miracles sometimes happen but your 10's are dead with that many callers on the flop. Your reasoning is sound... I just prefer an active role for image reasons, although at $25 limit and with these opponents (and with your general style of play) it probbaly doesn't serve that purpose too well. Maybe bet half the pot if you want here to entice callers with 2nd-best highs would be a better play.

It sucks that you were behind the whole way, but it took the perfect hand to do it. Be sure you're not swayed by results like these into taking a too-passive line next time.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:38 AM

I would check, and call/fold depending on the action. I would also pot it with that hand preflop to cut down on the number of opponents.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would also pot it with that hand preflop to cut down on the number of opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't bet pot pre-flop beacuse I was UTG so I don't think that it would have limited the field much.