Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: First Street
Vince Lepore 7 5.98%
El Diablo 110 94.02%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Early play in STT\'s

Early in STT's (rounds 1 and 2) I beleive it is correct to play very tight PF, (as the TOP would indicate). I have seen several players have sucess doing the opposite. They limp into a bunch of muliway pots with unusual hands and hope to cath a good flop. I know both ways of playing can be correct. What I want to know is if the limp limp limp way is appropriate for a 1 table sng, I mean you start with only 1000-1500 chips and if you miss the flop a few times your in bad shape. I think that the limp limp limp strategy works for tournements with more players and deeper stacks. Also what effect would a turbo tourament structure have on this strategy?
Old 06-28-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Early play in STT\'s

Limping is the way to go.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:27 PM

Playing tight is best for me. I tried limping and end catching a decent hand that gets beat by something better. Do this a couple of times and then you are short stacked and the blinds have gone up. Now you have to depend on a coin flip to survive. This is just my experience.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:30 PM

go watch those several players play several tournaments and you will have your answer
Old 06-28-2005, 01:47 PM

If I could vote three times I would. Turbos, T1500, and T1000 are different animals.

But playing too tight and getting blinded off without the chance to win big chips for small investments doesn't make too much sense to me.

I'm not saying play anything on the button. But big implied odds hands late are juicy.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:09 PM

I completely agree that turbos are very different from normal STT's. Should the rapidly increasing blinds induce you to play more pots because you will soon be short staced or should you want to save those chips for the doubble up your going to need soon?
Old 06-28-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I completely agree that turbos are very different from normal STT's. Should the rapidly increasing blinds induce you to play more pots because you will soon be short staced or should you want to save those chips for the doubble up your going to need soon?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not supposed to ask me questions like this when I'm acting smart.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gernerally I would play tighter in the early rounds and let everyone else fight for a few rounds.

When you have more chips, and more time to work, you can play more hands, and if you lose one or two (not for your whole stack), you have more time to find a hand to come back with. When the stacks are short, you need to be getting in with the best hands and making your money there.