Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Vegas - Strip vs Downtown

I'm trying to decide if its worth getting a room downtown and playing there for a few days before hitting the strip or just stripping it the whole way. I'd be playing on Thurs(7/28) and Fri(7/29). Any suggestions?

I'll be looking to play as high as $10/20 Limit.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Vegas - Strip vs Downtown

Its a no brainer - if you are going to play lots of poker stay on the Strip, lots of choice and most places have a poker rate that negates a large portion of the cost difference. You will be able to walk almost everywhere and you won't feel stalked when you do...
Old 06-08-2005, 07:16 PM

Stay on the stip take the 15 dollar taxi ride downtown one day and check out Binions and the Freemont experience.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:14 PM

I love staying on Fremont Street and I always spend a few nights there on every trip before going to a strip hotel. Unfortunately, you won't find a limit game higher than 4-8 anywhere downtown, and I've seen times when the Nugget and the Horseshoe couldnt even get that going. If you want to play in the 8-16 to 15-30 range the best rooms are the Mirage, Bellagio or the Wynn. I've also played 10-20 at the Orleans but the table broke 2 hours after I sat in.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:21 PM

you might see it Thurs/Fri at MGM now too - I've seen some mid limit there...

one thing's for sure, if it is spread, it'll be softer then those other rooms.

RB
Old 06-09-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you might see it Thurs/Fri at MGM now too - I've seen some mid limit there...

one thing's for sure, if it is spread, it'll be softer then those other rooms.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]
You know, its funny. I spent a weekend at MGM in early May and never saw a 10-20 game spread. If there had been one I would have been in it. When I got back I said something here about it and people came out of the woodwork to flame me, tell me I was wrong, etc. That's all fine but I was just relating what I had experienced there over a three night stay. In fact, at one point I spoke to a brush at the MGM room and he basically told me that since Wynn had opened, and Bellagio had remodeled, that they (the MGM) were not really going after the middle limit players. I did see an interest list for a 10-20 game once or twice but it never seemed to get going.
I really wish the MGM would spread games in the 10-20, 15-30, 20-40 range because I get comped there and it would make life a lot easier. But so far I havent seen it.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:25 PM

hmm thanks for the replies. I'm probably gonna stick to the strip then and maybe check out downtown one night. I'm locked down at the Bellagio for the Sat. and Sun. nights but the first I'll be staying somewhere a little cheaper. I might try for something closer to MGM.