Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Ray Zee made me do it

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like either players hand. Pushing a huge stack with such a 1% advantage doesn't seem so good to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Give me that 1% everytime, and I will push my stack.

Lawrence
Old 06-02-2005, 03:51 AM

You made the right play and lost. So what.

You're gonna get most non-idiots to muck king ten here. This guy was a moron and still called. You were still 50-50 even after his call. What more can you ask for.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:40 AM

Reraising preflop is ok. The flop is quite standard, as playing it any other way would be dumb.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't like either players hand. Pushing a huge stack with such a 1% advantage doesn't seem so good to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really? Give me that 1% everytime, and I will push my stack.

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

See Lawrence I told you these guys were weak-tight, I don't think they ever heard of EFFEE.

Mack
Old 06-02-2005, 06:06 AM

I salute you for your ball growing but in NL $200 plays like these can go either way. It's just as common to have a ton of folding equity as it is to have none here. These kind of plays will work on average more at 2/4 and 3/6 NL. Focus more on the players in the hand and what they're like more than what Ray Zee says in a Mid High post
Old 06-02-2005, 09:07 AM

I think some people get it here and some don't. Ray Zee's last post on that thread is gold, pure gold no matter what stakes you play. Sometimes I get the guy to fold. Sometimes the guy calls and I'm in a bad shape. Sometimes the guy calls. Overall, the situation is +EV and my play makes it much harder for my opponents to read me. I've just shown them that I'm willing to put my money in the middle on hands other than the stone cold nuts.

About 30 minutes later I picked up aces and made it $10 to go on the button. I got called in 3 places. I had been playing much looser than usual or at least it appeared that way. It was a combination of the cards and me looking for spots. Anyway, I flopped top set on a board of A 2 4 rainbow. All checked to me. I bet $30. The SB thought and called. I had about $300 behind to start the hand and so did the SB. The turn was a 6 putting a two flush on the board. The SB checked and I quickly moved in. He called with AQ.

I don't know if his play had anything to do with the earlier hand, but mine sure did.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I salute you for your ball growing but in NL $200 plays like these can go either way. It's just as common to have a ton of folding equity as it is to have none here. These kind of plays will work on average more at 2/4 and 3/6 NL. Focus more on the players in the hand and what they're like more than what Ray Zee says in a Mid High post

[/ QUOTE ]

I think these plays work quite well at the 6max tables. Even at low stakes you play so many hands with everyone that even many bad players are paying a little attention and will remember seeing you push in with less then top pair. Many of them won't realize that this (or pushing other big draws) is a good move and that they are actually a slight dog. It will often induce loose calls on future hands.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think these plays work quite well at the 6max tables. Even at low stakes you play so many hands with everyone that even many bad players are paying a little attention and will remember seeing you push in with less then top pair. Many of them won't realize that this (or pushing other big draws) is a good move and that they are actually a slight dog. It will often induce loose calls on future hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

See last post by me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, here's the relevant quote by Ray Zee:

[ QUOTE ]
garland what most people are missing here is that this hand is a great hand to have. you get to build a pot on the flop. by maybe betting and reraising or check raising a huge amount. your big gain comes from most times your opponents will fold and you get all that dead money. plus future action makes it harder to read you when you play big pots.
if you get unlucky and get played with for all your money so what. you are up against some hands you are a favorite against. some hands like a set rarely, that you still have 30% of the pot even then. or get called by another flush draw and hope your pair wins.
ever wonder why no limit was a dying game before tv picked it up. it is because average players are easy to read when they put decent amounts of money in. so good players beat them out of the big pots and lose only smaller ones to them. so when they get their chance to get broke they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, Matt Flynn has some excellent comments on the hand also.

In the last 6 months my game had really flat lined. I'm still a winning player but my winrate at the higher limits wasn't comparable to what it had been at the lower limits. I think plays like the one above are the kind that allow you to move up in limits. Who knows, but I'll keep looking for spots like this to push. I can beat monkeys at any level but I want good players to fear and respect me. Up until this point, I think the good players have a VERY easy time putting me on hands.

And I do have the bankroll to cover the swings.