Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Have a good laugh at this one

[ QUOTE ]
A9s is pretty far from any two. It's a holding that I would love to play in a multiway pot if I could kind of cheaply. He did flop the nuts. You're not making too much sense here.

At Stars there's generally a little more room for these kinds of plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Until your post, I thought a spade had fallen on the flop, the OP flopped the nut draw, failed to hit it, and then posted about how bad the AA guy played his hand. So you're right, I haven't been making much sense. With that said, I still think every action OP made before the flop here was horrible. Very unlikely you get to play a multiway pot with this hand cheaply by limping from MP with six players left to act. Judging by the OP's subsequent preflop calls, I think it's also pretty unlikely he doesn't lose a significant amount of chips when the flop gives him a lone pair and somebody wants to play with him.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that if he flopped TPTK or even TPWK he would get away from the hand if under fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he certainly wasn't able to get away from the battle of the preflop minraisers from the sandwich position, so I don't know about that.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:45 PM

Preflop action:

2 folds, I limp. Im not to keen in following in here to be honest, but if thats how he plays, its his money - not worst ive ever seen - cost so far, 30

MP2 calls, 2 folds, Button calls, SB raises to 60, BB calls, I call, Here you have called 30, and have to call another 30, you cant fold here, 60 invested total

MP2 calls, Button raises to 120, Blinds call, I call, Now its 60 to you, with mp2 the only guy left to act behind who has so far not raised. you cant fold for 60 on the pure price - stuck to a call, 120 invested

MP2 folds,

Pot: 540

-----

Ok, so he invested 120 in total - but at no point did he invest more that 60, and by that point the price was too big to pass up. Again, im not keen on playing this hand from such an early position, but thats my play, not his, and as long as he is happy doing so, i cant complain with how the preflop action happened.

Phill
Old 05-28-2005, 02:10 PM

Not to jump on the beat-down bandwagon, but a limp-in with A9s here is marginal at best, but, then again, this IS a Stars tourney, and I'm pretty sure you have a handle on NL in general, and could get away from an ace flop if you needed to. Still though, what are you calling for then, other than the flush? Eh, you know all this.

Also, yeah, seen WAY worse play of AA, but come around more often. We need more Klingons in STT forum.

Oh, and Brady/Manning pretty obviously gonna be a wash, with both getting in immediately when eligible.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im not to keen in limping in here to be honest . . . SB raises to 60 . . . you can't fold
here . . . Button raises to 120 . . . you can't fold

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're telling me that you don't think this hand is worth a limp and that the OP's decision to limp puts him in a position where he is forced to call four times the big blind with a hand that will almost certainly have to be folded postflop and no certainty that he's even paid what it's gonna ultimately cost to get a peek at the flop (one guy left to act as of his last preflop call).

I think we agree, and I think the preflop action in this hand demonstrates why A9 suited is such a clear early/middle position fold at this stage of a tourney.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:18 PM

a limp-in with A9s here is marginal at best

No argument. I fold this at later levels, or if the table is aggressive. This one was not.

what are you calling for then, other than the flush?

When it's 60 back to me, I'm getting 8:1 immediate with a reasonable expectation that the one player left behind me will call closing the action (that he didn't is irrelevant).

When the button did his reraise thing, I thought 'now I'm down a rathole against AA' and would have folded had the blinds folded. Against AA in the multiway pot, I'm about a 9:1 dog, so I a) make that up when I hit, or b) have good enough odds at 8:1 against his range of hands which I believed at the time to be AA 90% of the time.

I call there for the same reason I call a small all-in from the BB without looking at my cards at a B&M tourney. I'm calling for that 10% hand.

Let's say I flop a draw. Do you think a guy who played preflop like he did would deny me odds on the flop? We obviously know he didn't from the way he played, but I contend that's reasonable expectation.

Reason 2: I've invested 12 minutes in this tourney. I know I'd rather gamble a bit now to build a stack and risk going bust than to play too tight and find myself with 10BB after 45 minutes. Time is money.

Speculative play? Yes. Did I get lucky? Yes. When the odds are right, there's nothing wrong with playing to get lucky. That's the lesson the "poker's not gambling" geeks will never understand.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Speculative play? Yes. Did I get lucky? Yes. When the odds are right, there's nothing wrong with playing to get lucky. That's the lesson the "poker's not gambling" geeks will never understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

If poker geeks are about anything other than gambling when the odds are good, I haven't found it yet, so I don't really understand what this paragraph is supposed to mean. Is your mom shacking up with a nerd or something? You seem awfully hostile.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:03 PM

Is your mom shacking up with a nerd or something? You seem awfully hostile.

My mom is 82. If she's shacking up with anyone, more power to her.

That doesn't make you any less of a c*ck s*cking moron for typing that sentence. I'm probably more than twice your age, but I'll be happy to crush your skull if I ever meet you in person. That is, unless you apologize.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:20 PM

Cool post you fu.cking fa.g. Great you sucked out on AA and now your a god at poker. DIE
Old 05-30-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. Maybe I should've put some smileys in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rotf...wiping beer of my laptop screen!!

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]