Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Top Two from the SB

This one is from memory. Party Poker $200 buy in, full ring.

I'm in the SB with QJ off. 3 limpers, I complete, BB raps. 5 to the flop. I think we all have between $200 and $250.

The flop is Q J 5 rainbow. I lead out for the pot. The BB calls. Two folds and the button raises to $40. Action's on you.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Top Two from the SB

raise to 100
Old 04-30-2005, 01:02 PM

Smooth call, and before careful if any 8, 9, K or A hits (if BB calls).
Old 04-30-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise to 100

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to get away from the hand after 3 betting in this spot.

[ QUOTE ]
Smooth call, and before careful if any 8, 9, K or A hits (if BB calls).

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. And the turn bricks. Now what?

I stared at the board a long time and was trying to figure out what the button could have. I mean the presence of the BB in the pot kind of keeps the button in line. It's hard for him to raise like that without a 'real' hand here. And a worse two pair just doesn't seem very likely.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:10 PM

I don't mind getting my money in here, if that's what you're asking.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind getting my money in here, if that's what you're asking.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I'm asking. I also think this is one of those spots that's a dividing line for good players. So, in essence this is a two part question. The second question is 'what do you put your opponent on in this case?'.

FWIW, this is HUGE leak in my game and stops me from getting past this level to the $400,$600, and $1000 levels.

Results to follow.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:16 PM

Call and lead the turn. This is an extremely powerful, extremely underused play, and using it forces your opponent to define his hand. You smooth call and provided that an A or K doesnt hit on the turn, you fire 1/2 to 2/3 of the pot at the turn. If he calls you're probably ahead of AQ, QK, or he's on some bizarre 9T or KT draw. If he pops you this time, you can probably drop the hand safely, because then it looks like a set of fives. You would have to have a read putting this guy on a hand like TPTK because to raise the turn again here would be to play AQ like a lunatic. The only hand that's generalyl giong to raise again here that yuo're not losing to is QJ, with which you're obviously splitting.

So call the flop raise, lead the turn, and then make your decision. It has to be possible for you to fodl this hand in certain situations.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:37 PM

Let me add this up. There's $10 on the flop. Then after I bet and call (the BB folds) the pot stands at $100($100=10+10+10+40+30) and I have about $158 behind.

I then lead the turn and for $50 to $60 and lay it down to an all in? At this point the pot will be offering me a little better than 3:1. I can see going both ways with it, but I don't mind this line. I actually use it from time to time.

Again, what hands could the guy have? I guess I can see the same two pair, K 10 for a semi-bluff, or a set of 5s. QQ or JJ are less likely because most would raise in this spot.

I just think there are clues here to help you (me) keep from getting stacked here. The first is the relatively small range of hands I believe the guy could have and the other is the presence of the BB in the hand. If it was head's up, I'd be more suspicious, but the pot being 3 handed adds weight to the button's raise.

I think a lot of people have the proclivity to go to the felt in this case with a hand like this. I know I do. In the actual hand I reraised the flop and we ended up getting it all in and he showed me a set of 5s. The worst part of the whole thing is in the back of my mind I'm screaming at myself 'He has a set of 5s!' and then there's caveman poker guy screaming over that 'Yes, but WE HAVE TOP TWO!'

Most of this is just thinking out loud and there's no metaphysical looking into anyone's soul, Helluth BS here. I simply think the clues say lay it down and lay it down now. Find a better spot. Deal the next hand.

Again, I got stacked. I played it poorly. And perhaps the best I could have done is smoothcalled, led the turn, and mucked to an all in. I don't know.