Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 10:52 AM

Default I was going to bluff, but he beat me to it...

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (8 handed) converter

UTG+1 ($390)
MP1 ($565.4)
Hero ($298)
CO ($229)
Button ($385.9)
SB ($224.4)
BB ($357)
UTG ($532)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls $4, UTG+1 calls $4, MP1 calls $4, Hero calls $4, CO calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($28) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $20</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls $20, CO folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: ($68) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $50</font>, Hero calls $50.

Okay, these calls are somewhat marginal, but I figure I have 15 outs: 6 to the nut straight, which will likely get paid off, 2 to the straight+flush, and 7 to a flush that I can bluff on.

River: ($168) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $165</font>, Hero folds.

Hey, I hit my flush out. I guess I'll sack it up and bluff this one... wait, why did he bet? I obviously just made my flush draw. I can only think he made a boat with KJ or 44, and doesn't want a scared flush checking behind. Good read? Good assumption that I could have bluffed if the board hadn't paired?
Old 04-13-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: I was going to bluff, but he beat me to it...

I don't like planning on bluffing hearts the whole way. As a backup, maybe. But it's very possible that villain has hearts.. any hand like QJ[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], TJ[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], AJ[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], AT[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], QT[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] all could play the flop/turn this way.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good assumption that I could have bluffed if the board hadn't paired?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad Assumption. I tried all of these ritzy plays a few months ago, bluffing when the river made a flush and paired the board. check/calling the whole way down and making a decent sized bet/raise on the river. Reraising all in after the bottom card paired as if I was calling someone down with bottom pair etc...people catch on, it cost me 1000s at 2/4 and 5/10. Do NOT bluff online. There is really no point when it's easy enough to win by just playing better/smarter than others. You have to have a very good read on an opponent (lots of PT data and observation of 100s of hands played) in order to have pure bluffs work properly, or at least I do. This isn't a steadfast rule, just what's been working for me, I would save bluffing for higher limits/higher caliber players/live play.

I bluff a lot less, play a lot more like a nit and so far it seems to be working, decisions are easier, and I don't find myself stuck so much etc. I still semi-bluff like it's my job on the flop/turn, but no more flat out bluffs. Before I was always trying to outplay everyone, it works in the beginning but then people realize you can't have the goods everyhand, you can't outplay every player everytime you are in a hand, I had to force myself to stop doing it. It got so bad that I made a list of things I am not allowed to do online and I have it stickied right on my monitor. A form of discipline since I lacked any before online. Try it out.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:31 PM

I agree with AZK completely, do not stone cold bluff online you will lose in the long run. I have done the same thing, I have conciously stop bluffing online. As with AZK I still do semi-bluff, but that is about it. The only time I may vary from that is a heads up small pot in position.