Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 04-12-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Fire again on the turn?

How much should he bet on the turn? The pot is now $50, so I'm guessing somewhere between $25 and $40. $25 is the cheapest alternative in case you fear a check raise, but that also might appear a bit weaker to your opponents. That would also be giving 3 to 1 pot odds to the first caller, which is almost sufficient for a flush draw assuming there are some implied odds on the river.

So bet $40 then? I'm new to no-limit and that second big bet on the turn when you're not sure if you're being trapped is always the hardest for me to swallow. At least with position you can check behind on the river though.

If you're in early position in this exact hand then you just check/fold the turn? Or do you bet out 3/4 of the pot on the turn and then bet out half the pot (blocking bet?) on the river assuming no flush or straight draw completes? That sure makes it easy to get trapped expensively by a set. I've had that happen a few times already.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:23 PM

I'd bet about $35 on the turn, which is the same bet I'd make with AK. Much of the optimal bet size comes from how you would play other hands in the same situation against that particular opponent so its hard to nail it down precisely.

If I'm out of position (i.e. first to act), I probably bet the same and then check/fold the river (weak, I know, but I suck at playing big pairs out of position) if I get called, unless I know villain is capable of bluffing a busted draw (where the A didn't help him) in which case I check/call.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet about $35 on the turn....

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead on.

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm out of position (i.e. first to act), I probably bet the same and then check/fold the river (weak, I know, but I suck at playing big pairs out of position)...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm convinced one of the keys to playing this game at the higher limits is mastering the above or at least getting REALLY good at it.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:59 PM

After they both called 12 on the flop, I would instantly put either of them on the Flush/Straight draw. If they were on the flush draw, Most likely one of them would have the ace of spades which would then make then top pair aces. But since you are on the button and it has been checked to you, I think its unlikly that either of them have aces or I think they would have bet their aces in such a big pot allready.