Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 04-11-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Flopped flush, lost my nerve on the river

This was my 2nd orbit so I didn't have a good read on anybody. Both players had played most of the hands and UTG didn't raise AA preflop, on the flop of an A or the turn when he filled up (he CR'd the river).

The river felt weak. Should I have played differently?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP folds, CO folds, SB calls.

River: (11 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17 BB
Old 04-11-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Flopped flush, lost my nerve on the river

edit: didnt see board was paired.

I think it looks ok, go for overcalls on river.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Flopped flush, lost my nerve on the river

I'm replying *solely* to read any comments others might have on my analysis. I play low stakes Omaha, haven't play 6-seat tables much in a long time (though I used to prefer them), and I haven't played any TX Hold'em in the past year except tournaments. Still, the basics are the same, right? (Famous last words)

I'm going to assume that 5/10 tables have some idea what they're doing (no matter what some folks say--their fish is probably my barracuda) While play can be a lot looser 5-handed, I'd be concerned that it was still a family hand after that particular flop. They can't all be playing draws or low flushes. One small bit of good news: at least your 5C ruled out an SF. I hate it when that happens (to anyone but me).

At the flop, there are up to eight clubs out there. Three of them can beat you, if suited. The table only had to call one bet, but the pot odds are kind of shallow to keeps an optimistic set happy: even with implied odds through later rounds of flush wars, only a 99 could be content. Players who started with 44 or 66 would have to be squirming inside.

The board pairs itself on the turn, making (at least) a FH out of any set. With 2 opponents at the table after 2-bets, and skinny pot odds, you're almost certainly looking at a FH or Picture Flush that will slaughter your little boy. I know I'm too conservative, but I don't think *both* of them would stay in with, say a FH draw: unless someone falls in love with an A-flush against a FH (or a FH against a bigger FH), the river would probably be a 1- or 2-bet (and an optimist or you would be long dead) so implied odds almost certainly don't come NEAR justifying a FH draw staying in.

As I said, I know squat -- and you were there to read them, I wasn't--but that's what I see, and I'd welcome the wisdom of others, to hear where I guessed wrong.