Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Questions on getting Respect / Fear at a table

Hi guys, I'm searching for some thoughts on how to establish a solid table image, mainly in a single table tournament setting.

I've seen some people get in there and start firing chips at the pot right away. Some of these cats show down junk early on but establish that they'll play any two cards, and when they get lucky on a draw then they have chips to push the table around.

On the flip side, I've seen conservative players play little pots and come in hard when they are actually playing a pot. Of course, when the two personalities clash, a lot depends on the players.

Obviously there are many different variations in style, and I've been working on the conservative approach as of late, showing down only good hands and committing myself to a pot very strongly, with solid raising and re-raising.

I seem to run into a lot of King-Rag or Ace-Rag that calls me down and somehow catches something on the turn or river to take it. Obviously times where I'm covered (they can afford it and are just playing reckless) or when it looks like a desperation situation, I could understand someone trying to knock me out. But, I feel that I've projected the image of only playing some good solid poker and showing down only good hands. Yet I still get looked up and get outdrawn....

Is there a better approach to establishing a better image? At the rate that the blinds move on PP single table tourneys, I find myself opening up my game at good times and having it work a lot, but sometimes a loose cannon throws my gameplan off. I've run into situations like this at 10+1, 20+2, 30+3 and 50+5 single table tourneys. Apologies for not having hand examples, but I'm more concerned with table image and trying to build up some credibility. I definitley switch my game up and understand it's a case-by-case basis (depending on the hand, and who's at the table). Any pointers on this subject would be appreciated, thanks guys!
Old 03-17-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Questions on getting Respect / Fear at a table

This is my first reply. I've been thinking about this too and I get the feeling that if you are conservative or tight/aggressive you don't need to advertise. Good players notice how many pots you play and where you fold. Bad players don't notice anything whether you advertise or not. Loose players are always willing to take the chance that they can scare you off a pot because they have a draw.

You may want to show a bluff if you think it will tilt your opponent, but I think it is better to do that in the late stages rather than the early ones.

I say don't advertise and put the pressure on your opponents to figure out how you play.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys, I'm searching for some thoughts on how to establish a solid table image, mainly in a single table tournament setting.

Is there a better approach to establishing a better image?

Any pointers on this subject would be appreciated, thanks guys!

[/ QUOTE ]

For on-line play, don't waste your time trying to establish an image. From my experience, no one really pays much attention to other players' image on-line. Just play your game. With a few exceptions, other players will be playing their style regardless of what image you create, intentionally or otherwise. The one clear exception would be when you are short-handed (down to 4 or less) at a SNG. Even then, if another player is multi-tabling then he's not paying much (if any) attention to your style of play.

Live, much different answer. Nothing gains respect more than solid play and building a big mountain of chips. Especially at live NL play.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:22 PM

yup. In live games, winning garners respect from everyone. Period.

Here's why:
-loose players tend to rely on luck alot. They'll see you as a very lucky player who is catching a lot of cards and is not to be trifled with.

-thinking players will pay attention to how often you are in the pot and what you show down with. If you are winning with solid play, then they write "tag" down next to your face in thier minds, and also stay away unless they have somthing to take you on with.

take your time and win large pots from fishies when you're ahead. You'll gain the respect of everyone at the table.

Now comes the biggest challenge: don't get cocky. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]