Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 03-14-2005, 11:18 PM

Default What adjustments to make against a 100/100/7.5

I'm playing 0.05/0.10 at pokerstars when villian sits two seats to my left bringing with him a few grand. It becomes apparent very quickly that he is just raising, 3-betting, and capping every street on every hand. My question is what general adjustments do I need to make in this situation? I know that pocket pairs skyrocket in value as the implied odds go way up. I was calling multiple raises preflop with any pocket pair since I was guaranteed to get paid off to the max with this one opponent, not to mention bets collected from other players.

Here is an example of a hand that I just felt lost during...

Villian is MP2 in case it isn't too obvious...

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.05.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (14.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (10.20 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP1 folds.

River: (14.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 16.20 BB

I would have called the river if the button had folded also...The rest of the hand just felt like chip spewing to me...
Old 03-14-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Re: What adjustments to make against a 100/100/7.5

[ QUOTE ]
Villain sits two seats to my left bringing with him a few grand. It becomes apparent very quickly that he is just raising, 3-betting, and capping every street on every hand. My question is what general adjustments do I need to make in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

*Danger: all theoretical unproven crap to be taken at viewer's discretion.*

My initial inclination was to quote the late Herb Brooks's "play your game" adage. However, I immediately realized that you can't respect anything he throws at you beyond him having two random hole cards. So you could probably cold call his raises with QJs-T9s, KJs-J9s, middle pocket pairs, suited aces and suited connectors to 76s and not be in any real danger. Reraise/cap with anything you would raise preflop in the first place and drive off stragglers. You want to get a high pocket pair heads-up against him.

Back to the hand:

76s is okay with 5-6 to the flop, but I still fold here with bottom pair crap kicker + backdoor flush draw. Even if Mr. 100/100 is 'bluffing' your hand just doesn't stand up very well to two random hole cards.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:30 PM

First of all, this is not the hand to be making a stand with. Fold it on the flop.

You shouldn't adjust your starting hand requirements just cause of the maniac, after all there are other players at the table besides you and the maniac. What you should be doing is looking for opportunitites to isolate the maniac, which then gives you the advanatage. Once you have it heads up with him, then you can start betting and calling down with more marginal hands.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:31 PM

That's a bad fold.

You need to tighten up against a player like that. Fold 76s pf. You want hands that have high card strength and showdown ability. Pocket pairs and broadway. You need to raise pf hoping to isolate the maniac. You cannot fold to his bets! They mean nothing. He's playing 100% of his hands for a raise. Go to war. Cap every street. This is a high variance play but you will eventually wear him out. He will win some hands but your hand selection will be far superior. He will need to help from the board you will not.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:36 PM

Kaishin and Zoelef:

Folding this flop is bad. Count hero's outs and figure out why.

Folding this preflop, on the other hand, is good, regardless of having a 100% PFRer behind you. That just makes it doubly good.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:43 PM

Milesdyson, I forgot all about those things in the books this website is based off of, so yes: call this flop. I guess all streets are played well but the only outs I like are the sevens.

I'll also double-back from my original post and say that 98s is probably a safer threshold instead of 76s.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:56 PM

I can see how folding the river could be a mistake. I almost think raising would have been better then calling as it would have the added bonus of facing the button with two more bets but I digress. Here is a hand where I was able to isolate the maniac.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.07.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, Hero calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (11.40 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (10.20 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

River: (18.20 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 26.20 BB

This hand seemed a lot more straightforward. Use my position relative to the maniac to try and isolate with him and just take my chances that the board didn't help him.

So I think I had the general idea of what to do but I was just a little confused on what his play did to the range of hands I could play.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:02 AM

LOL moose - if you won that hand, I'm amazed.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that pocket pairs skyrocket in value as the implied odds go way up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not exactly true.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:19 AM

Hmm...perhaps I should have said my actual odds go way up. Ignoring the blinds for the moment, if maniac raises preflop and its two bets back to me, if everyone else folds I'm risking one big bet to win at a bare minimum 11 big bets. So I guess my actual odds would be 11:1 instead of 1:1. It gets even better with more people in the hand as I stand to win bets that they put in on subsequent betting rounds. I'm sure there is a way I could word this better but it's making some sense in my head.