Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Giving up too early

2/4 full

Semibluffs don't seem to work at all for me at full tables.

Hero has JJ

UTG+2 calls, Hero raises, BB calls

Flop AQ7 rainbow

Checked to me, I bet, they both call

Turn A

they check to me, I check.

River 9, checked through again.

BB flips 66, UTG+2 has KQ.

Final pot $20

Not sure if UTG+2 folds his hand here. I don't know how to play anymore. Tricky players are really messing with my mind.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Giving up too early

Hi Joe I don't think a turn bet is a semi bluff either your ahead or behind and the action up to this point indicates your ahead. I would bet the turn no reason to give someone who is behind a free card if I got check raised I would probably let it go if you get called I would check it through on the river.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Giving up too early

Well, as a side note this wouldn't be a semi bluff situation - you have little chance to improve your hand at this point. Semi bluffing can work at 2/4 full - it just depends on your opponents and the reads you have on them. Don't semi bluff vs. known calling stations, do semi bluff vs. passive prone to fold players or even TAG's that will lay down to a bet or raise.

On this hand, I think you played it fine - again depending on your reads. I will actually play this one differently on the turn depending on reads - if I think there is any chance they fold then I bet (although I am less inclined to bet against 2 opponents than heads up). If you get check raised you can lay down. If you don't think anyone is going anywhere - then your play was fine. So betting the turn vs. UTG+2 is read dependent.