Default new computer - keep me from making a mistake

Am I making a mistake going cheap here?

Ready to buy the Dimension 3000 with:

Price: $369
Celeron 2.4
256 MB
40 gb hdd

Then I'm getting the 2001fp LCD

I figured that the system is good enough that I won't care, and the monitor is the really important thing for my use. Would you say I'm making a mistake and will regret this, or is it all good? Gracias
Old 02-24-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Re: new computer - keep me from making a mistake

Get 512MB ram. Otherwise you'll be fine for everything besides hardcore gaming.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:07 PM

Celerons suck. Get a P4.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Celerons suck. Get a P4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say this? Is it an overheating issue? Is this really something I'm going to notice playing poker and burning CD's (my two primary uses of my computer)? tia
Old 02-24-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ready to buy the Dimension 3000 with:

Price: $369
Celeron 2.4
256 MB
40 gb hdd

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were you I'd go with the 4700. Only $130 more, and you get away from the Celeron plus a 17" LCD you can sell if you decide to go for the 2001FP (which would actually bring the price down below what you're paying now sans monitor). The upgradeability of the machine is also better if you decide to branch out and upgrade (e.g. better video card) at a future date.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to agree with the previous poster that stated you will need at least 512mb of RAM. This is the best investment you can make in upgrading your machine. Dell tends to heavily overcharge for RAM, so I'd suggest just getting the minimum from them and picking up extra yourself from a reputable third-party vendor (Crucial is one of the more popular brands, but there are others).
Old 02-24-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Celerons suck. Get a P4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say this? Is it an overheating issue? Is this really something I'm going to notice playing poker and burning CD's (my two primary uses of my computer)? tia

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought my last computer 3 years ago. I run a very old P3 1GHz laptop. When I bought my laptop 3 years ago, I was told to avoid Celerons. It's not an overheating issue. I googled the topic because I haven't been reading the latest tech news. I found that some of the newer Celerons are better than the old ones.

Ehh, my first post was based on the research I did 3 years ago. If things have changed since then, the Celeron might not be as bad as I think. Do some research or ask someone who knows more about it. I still wouldn't buy a Celeron if I were buying a computer though. This was the thread that I read when I googled.
How Crappy Are Celerons?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:48 PM

For RAM you should probably check out the FatWallet Hot Deals forums.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Upgrade the memory NOW ...

and get it in a single stick, that way you can ugraded later if necessary and not have to waste any.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the replies. Just ordered the Dimension 4700 for $734. $300 more than I was thinking of shelling out, but I think with your suggestions it sounds like I will be more happy with a better system. Got the 512 mb upgrade. Price wasn't that much cheaper elsewhere, and I think it's better to get it in one stick straight from Dell at time of purchase. This system comes with with a 17" flat panel and printer which I will try to sell to bring down the cost too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] With the 2001FP on its way I'm stylin and profilin. Thanks for your help everyone!
Old 02-24-2005, 03:43 PM

oops. forgot the $100 mail in rebate, so it is $634. Not bad, and if I can get something for the monitor and printer, should be a sweet deal. Just wondering though, I purchased this from the small business side of Dell, and it let me, even though I don't really have a business. It is much cheaper this way, but is there really no verification or anything to do this? Just seems odd.