Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Reasonable line with AA?

I'm having a real hard time adjusting to $2/$4. I seem to continually feel like I make the wrong decision. MP2 was a bit of a maniac. Button is passive (maybe just slightly loose) but smart. He doesn't call with nothing.

How bad was this? I assume the flop play is standard based on my read and trying to eliminate button. I felt lost on the turn and river.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, MP2 folds.

River: (8.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
Old 02-04-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Reasonable line with AA?

You should bet the river. Sometimes he will have have the flush and there's nothing you can do about it, but more times than that, he will not. If he is a maniac, like you say, then he will jump at the opportunity to represent the flush, but he could be betting with the worst hand. In conclusion: bet the river, call a raise. Keep your head up, 2/4 can be frustrating as hell
Old 02-04-2005, 11:55 PM

I think your play is reasonable. Did you have a plan if raised or check-raised on the turn?
Old 02-05-2005, 12:55 AM

The maniac folded the turn. Button is the sLP-P.

Either way, I agree with betting the river. If button is that passive, he probably won't raise a made flush with the board paired, but he will definitely check behind with a hand that you beat.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:05 AM

There's nothing wrong with a check-call here on the river. you're not folding to 1 bet anyway. He could have a variety of hands, if he has the flush or queen so be it, you'll pay him off, but he may just have the King.