Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-09-2004, 12:14 PM

Default On the bubble, how do you play this hand?

There are 4 left in a $5.00 + $0.50 Sit and Go.

Trying to get a steal situation has been next to impossible because the chip leader (UTG in this hand) has been playing 75%+ of the hands since we got down to 5 players. He comes in every time for the minimum bet, whether he has a solid hand or crap. I have watched him call down and bluff with nothing but Ace high or him managing to hit two pair while playing something like 95 offsuit or just calling along with a monster.

The other two players have been pretty timid. They appear to be just trying to last into the money.

I am wanting to finish in the money of course, but since the other two are playing so cautiously I want to take advantage of the situation and build some chips for when it is down to 3 players.

I debated pushing this hand preflop, but just really didn't like my position.

All comments, criticism and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed)

BB (t1445)
UTG (t5605)
Button (t3510)
Hero (t2940)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t200, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t600) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, BB calls t400, UTG calls t400.

Turn: (t1800) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t600</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t1200</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero ???</font>
Old 11-09-2004, 05:40 PM

Default Re: On the bubble, how do you play this hand?

I would certainly not push PF. KTo is far too weak for this - especially against a player who is willing to call down a lot.

Your flop bet is too small - it should be at least T600 and I would say that pushing in here would not be a terrible play.

Your turn bet is MUCH too small - you need to bet at least T1500 here and if you are betting that much (as a proportion of your stack) on the turn then I would be pushing in here.

Tim
Old 11-09-2004, 08:37 PM

Default Re: On the bubble, how do you play this hand?

knowing how aggressively i play on the bubble, especially with a shorter stack involved in the hand and the fact that i have TPDK w/ a Straight draw, i probably would have bet 600-800 into the flop, looking to see if either folded. for one, this forces the shortstack BB to expend more chips to stay in the hand if he's running behind and two, the same for the bigger stack, yet it allows you to check on the turn and see how aggressively he bets at the pot or if he checks with you. either way, if you've payed close enough attention to how the big stack has played throughout the SNG, it may tell you where you stand in the hand. K 10o is not all that great of a hand but considering the flop, it strengthens your holding alot. betting the pot or a little more on the pot saves you from having to bet into a nasty turn and also saves you valuable chips in an advantage over the somewhat over-extended shortstack if you have to fold.