Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 11-05-2004, 04:34 PM

Default The Poker-Eval Library...

Don't see much in this forum ever relating to writing poker software, but here goes anyway. Has anyone ever used the Poker-Eval library (http://directory.fsf.org/games/poker-eval.html) using MS Visual C++? I unfortunately don't have a linux box, and am having a heck of a time building the library, with nmake giving me a billion in one errors.

If anyone encountered this problem and found a way around it, I'd greatly appreciate any assistance.

(I realize this is a little vague, and can give more details if anyone knows what I'm talkin' about)

Thanks a lot,
Remus
Old 11-05-2004, 05:20 PM

Default Re: The Poker-Eval Library...

Sorry I can't help w/ Visual C++, but a Windows alternative is Cygwin, which is a free "Linux-like environment." It includes the Gnu C/C++ compilers. I've used it to build the poker-eval programs with just minor problems.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:38 PM

It's starting to look like that's what I'll need to do. At least I know it will work if that's what it comes to. Guess it's time to go grab Cygwin and play with it for a while.

Thanks a lot,
Remus
Old 11-07-2004, 02:20 AM

uuDevil, I'm not sure if you'll (or anyone who compiled this library on cygwin) check out this message again, but I was wondering if one of the minor problems you mention was the one I'm experiencing.

I'm able to make everything but the "tests". When it's time to make tests, I get hit with a "parse error at end of input" in digtest5.c It's been years since I've used C, and I'm not sharp whatsoever in a unix environment, but I was assuming this meant something wasn't closed properly? Going through the code, however, I'm having a difficult time locating the issue.

Am I missing something obvious? Doing something stupid?

I realize this isn't the "Books, Software, and Coding" forum, but I'm having a real difficult time and I've made it a bit of a mission to complete this app I'm working on, so any help would be greatly, greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Remus
Old 11-07-2004, 03:48 AM

Default Eesh...unfortunate addendum

I figured I would try to run my own test and try to compile one of the examples (just used hcmp2). After toying with the includes a little to make it go through, I get a weird error coming from cygwin during the compile (/cygdrive/c/......./ccLidUnr.o<.text+...>:hcmp2.c: undefined reference to '_StdDeck_cardMasksTable'

And I thought my "EV vs AV" project would be "simple" after I found out there was a library I can use to do the hand matchups. Serves me right.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Eesh...unfortunate addendum

I've had success building easy simulations using the Perl module Games::Cards::Poker. I've only done this on a linux box though - not sure if it's possible to use/compile on windows.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:40 AM

I don't remember having any trouble with make test, but it's been several months....

When compiling the example programs, try using the makefile in the examples directory: e.g. "make pokenum".

When I do "make hcmp2" I get some warnings, but no errors. I suggest trying pokenum since we know what it's supposed to do (same thing as twodimes.net).

The package may have changed since I downloaded it. If you can't compile pokenum, send me a PM and I'll download the current package and see if I have the same problems.

[ QUOTE ]
And I thought my "EV vs AV" project would be "simple" after I found out there was a library I can use to do the hand matchups.

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless you're a programming genius, this kind of thing always takes A LOT more time than you think it should.

BTW, what's AV?
Old 11-07-2004, 02:47 PM

I did compile pokersource under MSVC++, but this was a very long time ago and I don't remember exactly what I had to do. I don't think it took me a ridiculous amount of time or C expertise though.

Look around on the sourceforge webpage, or browse through the mailing list archives, and you'll probably find something of use. Someone also promised recently to post a howto for compiling under windows, but I haven't seen it yet.

I have also compiled it under cygwin, and I don't think I had to modify anything.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:31 PM

Thanks a lot for the help, uuDev, gonna give that a shot now. And you're definitely right about things always taking longer than expected, but I think that's where a lot of the satisfaction comes from.

I'm basically writing this to analyze summaries of SNG's and take all the preflop all in data Hero is involved in, and calculate the expected value of the all in, and compare to the actual value (AV) of the all in. Hoping to be able to tell how I'm running luck wise over specified periods with this (so if I go through a really dry spell of 50 tournaments, I can see if all in bad beats are causing it.) I also want to keep track of how often I'm caught when I steal, what my average EV is when I steal, etc.. Should be pretty useful when I finish; I'll throw it up here if anyone wants it.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:34 PM

I though I did look around the sourceforge mailing list archive, but apparently I must have looked in the wrong spot because all I remember was 2 or 3 messages over a period of 2 years. I will definitely check again.

Thanks,
Remus