Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Frustrated gambler advice

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on the true fundementals of the game and wanted to use the sit and go's to pratice, learn and gain experience.

[/ QUOTE ] SNGs probably aren't the best training ground if you want to eventually play "good poker". SNG are quite a bit different from a ring game -- some would say there is much less skill involved in a SNG.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on the true fundementals of the game and wanted to use the sit and go's to pratice, learn and gain experience.

[/ QUOTE ] SNGs probably aren't the best training ground if you want to eventually play "good poker". SNG are quite a bit different from a ring game -- some would say there is much less skill involved in a SNG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not less, but different. A good cash game player folds and folds and folds, a lot. You can actually sit at a Party NL table and push all in with AA and make money. (Somebody will call.) I've got stats on rocks with 8% VP$iP who are making money. I doubt very many SNG players are making money seeing only 8% of hands. You have to play a bit more hands to make a little more money, but it can be done in a cash game.

However, I doubt many SNG players can translate their skills into crushing a cash game. If anything, they'd LAG it up and get hurt.

Different skill set.

CJ
Old 11-05-2005, 02:53 PM

I downloaded pokerstove and I really like it. Having an engineering degree, this kind of thinking has always been interesting to me. I will probably spend many hours dorking it out(thats what my wife calls it) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] going over diffrent hands.

Thanks to everyone for all the good advice I have recieved in this thread.