Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Table dynamics

Last night I was at a table where I felt as though I couldn't get any real traction or rhythm going. For whatever reason the LAGs and the nits and the TAGs were all in the wrong spots for me, and as a result, I couldn't really make many moves preflop, and it was difficult to control people post flop. After 45 minutes of treading water, I decided to move on to greener pastures.

When you select a seat, do you ever take these dynamics into consideration? There are many well-known rules of thumb on the subject (loose on right, tight on left, etc.), but what else, if anything, do you look for? Please also comment on how you think your own style of play factors into your choice.

Marlow
Old 09-23-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Table dynamics

If the table is juicy, it doesn't matter THAT much where you sit IMO, unless there's someone that's TOTALLY nuts.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:45 AM

Yes, you should always be exercising table selection. Most players function under one set of ideal conditions and can't function at tables with differnet dynamics. Initially you should just switch tables so that you are making the most money. As a player progresses though, he should be able to properly adapt to his opponents tendencies so that any table he plays is +EV. Obviously some tables are bigger cash cows than others. In the most basic sense, I could run over a rock table or play like a nit at a lag table, I know how to adapt to both conditions, but obviously I'm going to make a lot more money at the lag table. If you don't feel comfortable at the table you are at, get up, that's whats great about the internet....
Old 09-23-2005, 11:56 AM

Do you really think so? I find that a very bad seat can make even a good table bad for me. Basically if you have a TAG or two in good positions relative to the weak players and you have bad position, it just makes the whole table a pain in the ass.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:00 PM

I'm back in my NL 101 mode which means I'm studying things like table dynamics. The only thing I avoid is a good strong LAG on my left. Other than that I'm trying to learn to watch and study how others (and what styles) thrive in this environment. I've often changed tables only to discover I took the problem with me, and the table I left is now thriving. I'm an Alpha Male control freak trying to learn that I can't control the game, only my decisions.

If you can flop set over set or AA over KK then you can relax while the rest of the table struggles.