Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Wilson Type Software

Poker Academy is newer and it does have REAL AI that allows the computer players to adapt and play well.

deviouz I'm curious why you think Wilson is better?
Old 03-25-2005, 07:57 PM

I'm curious if anyone has experience with AceSpades Hold'em software. It seems similar-ish to Wilson's, and their website even includes a (real?) quote from Sklansky saying their software is better than Wilson's.

Does anyone know, or have any comment on AceSpade vs Wilson?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2005, 09:53 PM

I'm just trying to understand why someone thinks it's better versus just the "it's better" answer. Something tangible.

It can't play as well, the graphics aren't as good, PA's newer and has had many more updates and it doesn't have as many features.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:50 AM

Poker Academy Pro (formerly Poki Poker Academy) is the new leader, Wilson's is so pathetic to me now, it's so badly in need of a facelift and changes, they have taken way way way way way way too long for a new version, it's ridiculous.

>TW<
Old 03-26-2005, 12:54 AM

I got it 6 months ago, they have since for free added SnG and NL to the same program.

It's gonna get more later in the year and the developers ACTUALLY interact actively in their forum.

Highly recommended and price is more than fair... Get the pro...

The new poker game with Danny N. is using their POKIBOT AI, and there have since been more bots added, and they make available to code to make your own if you are a programmer.

>TW<
Old 03-30-2005, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, I was hoping for testamonials not sales pitches. And those were bad sales pitches at that

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm interested in this subject and am suprised it's difficult to get an answer. I think that use of software like this is not to common among posters at this site.

I've used Wilson as an analysis tool a lot and am a fan. However, I'm sure the process of setting up simulations could be a lot quicker and easier. Also it doesn't do NL and this is why I'm looking at Poki. Does Poki do 'stack the deck and run a million hands type stuff'?

Is there anyone out there who actually owns both Wilson and Poki?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:32 PM

I've used Wilson Yournament Texas Hold em. However, after seeing the comparison between Poker Academy Pro and Wilson I am going to buy the Poker Academy Pro asap. I didn't know there were other programs out there until this thread.

I play live (not internet) $200 and $400 tournaments and have made the final table many times. I made $6k two weeks ago. After looking at the Poker Academy website, I feel I can afford to pop for the $130 bucks for the new software. I am always looking for a way to improve [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

software comparison
Old 03-31-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
software comparison

[/ QUOTE ]
I've looked at this link and some of the info is wrong. A few features they list Wilson as having, it doesn't, and some they don't list, it does. This is not to say Poker Academy is not better software, I'm considering buying it myself, but this table doesn't help me much.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:25 PM

I have Wilson Hold'em and Tournament Hold'em; I wouldn't use anything else.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:54 PM

I have a friend who has Wilson's Tournament Turbo Hold'em, and he showed it to me. He said it was very easy to beat, and hence didn't use it much. I am not a good player myself (yet), so I cannot comment, but had heard about Poker Academy and we downloaded the demo. He was extremely impressed, as was I, and I bought it. It is a very attractive program, with many many features, all of which I had read about in the computer software-realted chapter in Poker for Dummies by Lou Krieger, the first poker book I read. It has what I presume are numerous standard features, such as a hand evaluator, with probability to win, as well as the biased probability which changes the pure winning probability according to the probability another top hand was folded (obviously unlikely) and the opponents' pre-flop tightness, which can be regulated with a slider.

The graphs are fascinating though I admit I get little from them as yet, not knowing enough to make them useful. The graphics in all areas is ample, and attractive. GOing through the previous hands shows the cards received in one column and the respective flops in the other. On the side is a description of the action, and one can easily load the hand again to the table or place it in one of the analytical tools. Etc. etc. I found the Demo to do a very good job of showing off its main features, so don't just take people's word for it. Download it, and judge for yourself. There are several types of bots, all of which have different parameters that can be set and changed, giving many flavors.

The developers are very responsive in the forums, which is a very good sign as it means they seek to be in touch with the user base, and work from it.

A significant update, in features and bot strength, is in the works and announced sometime this year. Version 2.0 as it would be. The current version can be obtained for $99 but those who purchase now (I asked about this in their forums) will only pay the difference at worst from the full new version.

Frankly, I'm quite happy with it and heartily recommend it. Again, as said, just try the demo and see for yourself. It has some limitations, but it's enough to get an idea on what to expect.

Albert