Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 07:36 AM

Default Pick My Major and 2nd Semester Classes for Me!!! (OT)

Hey guys. I'd really appreciate some help. You can shape the mind of a young man if you wish.

I know this belongs in OOT, and I posted there too, but I post in here regularly and was interested in the opinions of some SnG players. Feel free to skip this if you wish.

Second semester of my sophomore year is approaching and I still have no major. I'm on the path to become a philosophy major, which is interesting and all, but not so useful in real life.

Here is the online timetable of classes at my school for the upcoming semester. Or you can start here .

So, here you go. I will seriously consider any class and/or major recommendations from you. I'm hoping that our common interest in poker will lead to a few other common interests that I'm unaware of. Here's a little of my background (I can explain more if I get some good responses, but I don't wanna waste your time.):

I'm definitely Math/Science oriented as far as my intelligence. However, I hate Calculus and many of the math classes I've had. I have yet to take any math since HS where my last class was AP Calc. I don't need any math to graduate, unless I wanna major in something related to it.

I am more interested in Liberal Arts... creative writing, film stuff, etc., but I'm not a diligent worker at all.

I get by because I take classes that interest me and I test very well.

I do not do homework unless I must do it to pass a class. I don't really read the material either, but I would if it was very interesting to me.

This is why Philosophy has been nice. The material is interesting, and there isn't much work. If you get it, you get it. No hard studying necesarry.

I HATE history type classes and anything that involves reading your textbook, memorizing dates or facts, and spitting them back out on the test. That is not my style at all.

I just took a philosophy class on Bayesian Prob. Theory and it was really interesting, so I've considered trying Stats, but I really don't want to have to take more Calc.

I know I'm gonna have to take some classes I don't like, but I wanna keep that to a minimum.

I'm capable of high level thinking. Difficult concepts are fine with me. What I'm bad at is something that takes a lot of studying to do well in. For instance, I probably went to 5 of 40 Logic classes this semester (i'm not saying these concepts were difficult). I aced the tests. However, I got a C in intro Psych last year because all we did was memorize disorders and stuff from the book and fill in the blanks on a test.

I know that's something I need to work on, but I'm just saying, don't recommend classes where you know that intelligence isn't needed, and just some hard studying will do the job.

If you could help me, I'd really appreciate it. I can give info on credits I have and such if I get some good response, but I don't feel like posting for 6 pages and getting no responses. That looks bad. Thanks.

-Jman28
Old 01-06-2005, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Pick My Major and 2nd Semester Classes for Me!!! (OT)

Sorry, I'm too old to have any advice based upon what schools are teaching today. When I was in College in the 60s, we majored in rebellion, sex, and drugs.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:03 AM

Hey. Major in math or philosophy. I'm a math major and aspiring creative writer (and poker player, of course.) Even knowing I'd end up wanting to write I wouldn't change my major; better to do something that keeps your mind as sharp as possible.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey. Major in math or philosophy. I'm a math major and aspiring creative writer (and poker player, of course.) Even knowing I'd end up wanting to write I wouldn't change my major; better to do something that keeps your mind as sharp as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Philosophy will keep my mind sharp, but the degree won't do much for me in the real world, right?

-Jman28
Old 01-06-2005, 10:20 AM

I did a Maths Degree (UK equiv of Major i think) for 3 years. Boring as hell. It might open more doors than a Philosophy degree would, that is if you fancy getting into Accountancy or something equally as mind-numbing.

If I had my time again i don't know what i would study, but it wouldn't be Maths. High school Maths i found interesting but degree level?? The material was so irrelevant to anything at all that it was torturous.

If you choose to take Maths, you may find it so boring that you drop out or get a low grade as you spend all your study time playing poker [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. A common problem with Maths students (in my experience) was a complete disinterest in the course content leading to a lack of motivation. Sounds like you actually find Philosophy interesting though, so without knowing anything else about you I would point you in that direction. Of course this depends if you would rather be happy or rich, but that's a different topic entirely........

Mystic
Old 01-06-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course this depends if you would rather be happy or rich, but that's a different topic entirely........

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be an entirely different topic, but it doesn't have to be.

I think there's a balance of sorts between enjoying what you are doing and preparing for the future. I would probably have fun majoring in acting, but I'm not gonna do it because I know that an acting degree is of almost entirely no use to me.

With Philosophy, to get a good job I'd need to probably go on to Law School or Grad school of some kind, but it at least prepares me somewhat for that. With a math degree, I could go out and get a job the year I graduate.

Also, I may have no idea what I'm talking about as I'm not in the real world yet.

-Jman28
Old 01-06-2005, 10:44 AM

Eh, being as sharp as possible is what'll help you in the real world.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:07 AM

Wow, your at Madison, right? I'd say your undergrad degree means absolutely nothing. I would take as little liberal arts classes as possible so you don't get brainwashed by the ultra-left wing faculty there. You could then earn your PhD in whatever field you like and then wait tables like the rest of the doctors in Madison....

Nah, that was cruel. Just do what you like to do. Unless you are in some high-tech field, your BA or BS major will be irrelevant in 5-10 years.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, your at Madison, right? I'd say your undergrad degree means absolutely nothing. I would take as little liberal arts classes as possible so you don't get brainwashed by the ultra-left wing faculty there. You could then earn your PhD in whatever field you like and then wait tables like the rest of the doctors in Madison....

Nah, that was cruel. Just do what you like to do. Unless you are in some high-tech field, your BA or BS major will be irrelevant in 5-10 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was fair. Madison is so left wing it's rediculous.

I keep getting mixed responses though. By 'high-tech field,' what exactly do you mean? Would a BS in CS or Engineering be high tech enough, or would I need to go to grad school to be of any use even with these majors?

I understand that switching from Philosophy to English or Communications isn't gonna matter much. I'm considering finding a major that is more useful than these or just sticking with Philosophy.

Thanks for the response.

-Jman28
Old 01-06-2005, 11:33 AM

You are a math guy but can't do calculus? I have news for you. You aren't a math guy. Period.

Since most physics is described by some form of calculus or differential equations, you probably aren't a physics guy either.

You don't really want to work, but you want to have a major which isn't useless. You can't have both. I think your first job is deciding which you want: a useless degree, or to do some work in college. Once you figure that out, you can start to think about what it should be.

eastbay