Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Re: OT: So there goes my bankroll...

[ QUOTE ]

I'm just another one of Irieguy's predictions, here one day and gone the next.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you understand (I imagine you do) that my prediction about the longevity and fate of the vast majority of 2+2 STTF posters is not meant to be a malicious "I told you so."

Rather, it is simply a reflection of the fact that being a consistent winner at poker is both more difficult, and much rarer than it is made to seem on this forum.

Having said that, it is important to stress that there is really only one reason to play poker, and one reason to quit. Those reasons are converses of one another, and have little to do with winning or losing money.

On a more personal level, I would like to applaud your humility and candor. Ironically, the method in which you chose to quit the game has made you a much better poker player.

Irieguy
Old 12-02-2005, 02:39 AM

1000 isnt nearly enough for the 33's. Go back reread books and or read new ones. Start over again and just be smarter with your BR. By the time you moved down to the 22's with 30 buy ins your in tilt and thats still a littl low on Buy ins. I know how it feels I had $1500 and then cashes out to $900 and lost it all playing $33's. I felt like such a douchebag. I reread my books and rebought with $50. Now Im back to $1600 ish and 6 tabling the 11's. Takes alot of hard work man but sounds like you just need your confidence back. GL.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How exactly did you lose your $3500 or did you cash out a bunch of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if that wasn't clear. Over the whole period of time I cashed out increments here and there totaling about $2500. Leaving me with $1000 to play the $33s.

[/ QUOTE ]

That means if you redeposited you would still be in the black.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:43 AM

yeah I know what you mean. When I lost it I saw how I woulda done everything differently. Youll make it back fine. Just take your time and be Patient.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I hope you understand (I imagine you do) that my predictions about the longevity and fate of the vast majority of 2+2 STTF posters is not meant to be a malicious "I told you so."

Rather, it is simply a reflection of the fact that being a consistent winner at poker is both more difficult, and much rarer than it is made to seem on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I do understand, now more than ever.

[ QUOTE ]

Having said that, it is important to stress that there is really only one reason to play poker, and one reason to quit. Those reasons are converses of one another, and have little to do with winning or losing money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which I suppose is why this may have been more of a venting thread than anything. It'll take some self-reflection and time, but I do love playing the game.

[ QUOTE ]

On a more personal level, I would like to applaud your humility and candor. Ironically, the method in which you chose to quit the game has made you a much better poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the post.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That means if you redeposited you would still be in the black.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. It puts things a little bit more back into perspective.

Although that money is long gone, I may be able to scrounge up enough to start grinding some bonuses or playing the $11s again after the new year.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:39 AM

Don't forget that despite you feeling down on yourself you have been a winning player. Everyone here knows that when you are wading through the mud of a downswing it feels like crap.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:47 AM

when i started at the 30s i had a 35 buy in downswing over my last 800 or so things have been better than i could have hoped, so a few days off is good for you. But puting in some studying and getting back in it might not be as bad of an idea as you think. Have a little confidence in yourself and you wont make as many tilt moves because you are confident that the moves you make are right.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:57 AM

A downswing im poker is just like a downswing in anything else in life.
My advise would be to look at something else in your life for inspiration. If you are married, I'd bet that there was a time before the wedding that you and your spouse almost parted ways. If you aren't married, I'm sure you get the idea anyway.
If we quit things in life because of diffucult times, we will never get to the summit. Quitting is easy, but fighting through the bad times is far more rewarding.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:24 AM

If your goal has been to play poker and win money, you have done that.

If you are upset because you haven't moved up and started making big money, you should understand that that is very difficult if you need to cash out most of your winnings.

Anyway, best of luck either way. We'll save a spot for you here.