Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 12:22 PM

Default ABCs of HUNL

I’ve started playing a little HUNL lately, and could use some basic advice. Basically, I need to know what my big-picture objectives are. I need to know the ABC keys to winning a HUNL match. Obviously this is a lot to ask, so I’d greatly appreciate it if you could post the 1 or 2 pieces of meta-game or tactical advice that you personally think is absolutely key to your foundation of HUNL.

Please forgive the broad scope of this post. I’d love to give you more than this, but I’m still at the point where I don’t know what I don’t know.

A little background. I’m usually a 6max NL player, but I’m becoming more and more interested in HU. IMO, it is easily the most exhilarating poker experience. Also, it seems to be where the best money is (against the right opposition, of course).

Thanks in advance for any and all help or advice.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: ABCs of HUNL

Deception is huge as most of the time, neither player has anything. Reading your opponent while preventing him from reading you is the most important thing. I tend to bet on the end more often HU in part to avoid having to show what I'm playing.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:40 PM

How important is it to win the majority of those pots where neither player has anything? I know this is crucial in limit HU, but is it less so in NL as the objective is to stack the guy?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:46 PM

Its definitely important. If you only put any money into the pot when you've got a good hand, you'll never get any action and will lose money a little at a time but never win any back (as the opponent will shut down when you've got something).
Old 11-30-2005, 01:04 PM

For some ABC tips/start, you should check out HoH II. It has a great section on HU play.

HU is really about adapting to your opponent, even moreso then say, 6max. amobea wrote a good post a little while back amobea micro/macro that kindve refers to adaptation.

You should be playing a style that counters your opponent. For instance, I played some HU earlier and my opponent was very very aggressive, and semi-maniacal. He would bet with air, raise with draws/bottom pair, etc, etc

I found that if I tried out-bluffing, trying to resteal, he would push. So I tried playing super passive, c/c-ing or cold-calling 3rd pair or higher with good results.

Once he figured out what I was doing, he stopped playing so aggressively, and instead, started checking alot more/started value betting me with his better hands, etc. which destroying my passive strategy.

Its like a chess match. Play according to your opponent and you will do alright.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:08 PM

This is intuitive and wonderful advice. I "know" that I need to adapt constantly, but don't always practice it. Last night I tried to outplay a very agg opponent and got my ass kicked.

And luckily for me, HoH 2 is what I'm reading today at lunch! I'll skip straight to the HU section...