Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 09:40 AM

Default First stab at 600 6max

Whenever I move up a limit, I seem to forget how to play poker. Does anyone else go through this? Nothing makes sense to me and I just kinda freeze up. In the past, I've tended to tilt and drop 2-4 buyins before I find my sea legs. This time was much better. I managed to only lose 1/3 a buyin in my first session, but I did it in a most donkalicious way after doubling through a super-aggro bully and losing all my profits+ back to the same guy.

*sigh*

Anyway, here's my very simple and specific question: since opponents seem to be a little bit more feisty at this level, I need to rethink what I should be reraising with pre-flop. A typical opponent last night was 45/22 and very aggro on the flop, with a standard opening raise of $21 (pot bet on UB). Against a person with these stats, what are the weakest hands that I want to reraise with 100% of the time, and what hands do I want to reraise with to mix it up on occasion? (Specifically, when I'm in position, and I'd be putting in the 2nd raise against a single opponent who opened for 21)

Thanks. Finally, if you also get lobodomized when moving up, I'd be interested in hearing your stories/expereinces/observations.

Thanks for your help,

Marlow
Old 09-19-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: First stab at 600 6max

Whenever I move up in a limit, I play better.

If the opponents is raising a lot, you have to figure out how often they call a repot, if they call it every time, just wait for premos. Use your judgment.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whenever I move up in a limit, I play better.

[/ QUOTE ]

You play better? Wow. Please tell me why you think this is... maybe I can convince myself to change.

Marlow
Old 09-19-2005, 11:27 AM

I started playing a lot better once I moved from 3/6 to 5/10. It was a combination of respecting the opponents more and having a mindset that I have to be more aggressive at 5/10. Instead, I overdid it and became hyper-aggressive and it has been working extremely well.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:33 PM

I have a problem changing limits both up and down. This forum has helped me understand that there are excellent players at 2/4 as well as 10/20 and in between. I don't believe that higher limits mean better players. There are poor to average players at every level just as there are good/great players.

I just have a mental problem adjusting to bet sizes. Even going from 2/4 to 3/6 or vice versa is an adjustment problem. Its not the money as I can play at any level I want, its just the mental adjustment to tossing around bigger or smaller bets. I try and develop an immunity to $$$ and concentrate on reads, bet size in terms of pot size, etc. The bigger the limit change the longer my adjustment period. I'm not a 6-Max player but I'm guessing there is no difference (or very little) in the actual games. But I have played enough 6-max to know there is a wide selection of games available and game selection becomes more important.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You play better? Wow. Please tell me why you think this is... maybe I can convince myself to change

[/ QUOTE ]

Because each bet is more $wise, so you take longer, think more about decisions then just throwing in the chips the way you would at a lower limit.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You play better? Wow. Please tell me why you think this is... maybe I can convince myself to change

[/ QUOTE ]

Because each bet is more $wise, so you take longer, think more about decisions then just throwing in the chips the way you would at a lower limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

One man's "deeper thinking" is another man's paralysis. But there's somethign I can take away here: I just need to refocus on my strengths and play my game. Leptyne mentions this as well in his response.

Weirdly, when I move up, I seem to invariably start at a table with a super-aggro player on a streak. So I fold, fold, fold, and then start to want to move at pots when I know damn well I should not. I think that I'd be well served to scout my tables for 5-10 minutes before I sat down. If there's something going on I'm not comfortable with, I should find another table, or consider moving back down for the session till something better opens up.

Marlow
Old 09-19-2005, 01:46 PM

Marlow, I completely understand what you are saying and going through. I was in the same spot a few weeks ago when I moved up to 5/10. I wasn't sure if I was getting run over, the flops kept missing me, I started getting more and more trigger shy etc.

My best advice is to just 1) be patient at the table, 2) stick to one table for now, 3) observe your opponents and adjust.

the money will come

edit - FWIW I now agree with the other posters, in that I feel like am playing my A+ game.