Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Line requests and dedications

[ QUOTE ]
Make it $100 to go preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously? This never entered into my mind. I mean it's not horrible in this game since people will call with 74 pre-flop and call the flop if they hit a pair of 4's.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is where you are wrong. Lapoker just wrote about this, how it is possible to win a whole stack with top pair top kicker in these live games, the people are justthat bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, yes they are.

[ QUOTE ]
That being said, bet the pot or a little more. If you get a caller, bet 2/3 on turn and 1/2 on river. That's generally a good line to get a jack to call you down.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did just this. I got 3 callers on the flop. The turn was a 2 and I got two callers. River was a king. Anyone check here? I bet and lost to 52(!) which was afraid I had a set(?).

Not trying to make a bad beat post out of it but one of my friends in the game said I should have check-raised real big on the flop and I thought that idea sucked. But I could not come up with a better way to protect my hand other than betting right out.

Oh well. Thanks for all the responses!
Old 10-19-2005, 03:42 PM

Bet 50 here. They are loose passive so betting more might scare a weaker player out. I normally bet 60 here but that might be too much....
Old 10-19-2005, 06:43 PM

If you are playing in the game I think you are (check PMs) than what happens when you raise is that you pick up $50 in dead money or whatever (fine by me), or you end up playing a heads up pot for $200 (against a dominated hand) rather than a 6way pot for $50 out of position with people drawing to break you. The great thing about these games is that people still give you action when you raise and still lose a nice portion of their stack when they hit any piece of the board. Now you just have to discipline yourself not to launch 3 barrel bluffs with 9 high into calling stations. Still working on that.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:04 PM

I had never thought of it like this. I am still stuck in "don't give too much action with one pair".... "big offsuit aces are not all that great", etc. Your idea is a good one though. I need to take the training wheels off and start pushing my edges a little more I guess.

Thanks for the responses,
tpir
Old 10-19-2005, 08:18 PM

Yeah, you'd be surprised how much easier it is to play a lot of hands if you raised preflop. I used to be very passive out of the blinds, position position position. But if you can take down that pot a decent amount of the time, go for it. I say $100 because if you make it $50 then you ill just have a $300 pot 6 way out of position. That sucks. Make it more expensive and then you should only have to play heads up. If the first limper calls though, you might be [censored].
Old 10-19-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think though you are underestimating how often KJ and QJ call a CR here

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry you misunderstood. when i said weak jacks might fold to a check raise i meant more along the lines of J2.

to the OP - this was a good line... u got someone calling with very little and never raising you because you were betting the whole time. great. sucks he hit 2 pair but what can you do... that's why you decrease bets because it becomes more likely they have you beat when you still only have one pair and also less likely they will continue to call with J sh*t. but if you decrease bets (talking in terms of size in relation to pot) then they will cal lyou down. sorry it didn't work out.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:41 PM

Kind of a different way of pot control. I like it especailly versus these players because they will not catch on and will not put you to the test.