Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 10:34 PM

Default flop play- call or push?

I play little to no NL poker, but thought I'd play some for a change of pace last night. Maybe NL's not the place to break out of a cold streak? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

The table was pretty passive pre-flop and BB seemed fairly aggressive earlier.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 max, 8 handed) converter

Hero ($18.9)
MP2 ($49.92)
CO ($41.68)
Button ($52.14)
SB ($27.49)
BB ($55.15)
UTG ($24.75)
UTG+1 ($44.25)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $1.75.

Flop: ($6.10) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, Button calls $5, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $10</font>, Hero...
<font color="blue">
Flop thoughts: I went with a continuation bet and got check-raised by the BB. I gave him a Q and counted 26:5 back to me. Outs: 4 Js, 2 Ts, 3 9s. I figured all the jacks were good and 4 outs among the 2 pair cards. That's less than 5:1 immediate odds. Do I just call or do I push to try to knock out the button behind me?</font>

Thanks for the help and if you want to know the results, I'll let you know later.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: flop play- call or push?

Folding didn't cross your mind?

Stop playing NL - you're beat here, by a.) a set, b.) the flopped straight, or c.) two pair.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:53 PM

I think the raise pre flop is a little excessive. I would limp given your position and cards. Suited connectors are not good raising cards unless you are trying to mix up your game. In limit you can, in NL you can't specifically for this situation. I think you are easily beat here and are dominated after the flop. Button is prob sitting on a Pocket face or AQ in my best guess. He could also have KJ, making your 9's no good. This is an easy lay down.

One thing I would change about your play post flop is a smaller bet. I think $3 is enough here. It gives the appearance of a value bet and will allow you enough breathing room to fold if button comes over the top. With your bet, I think you are almost pot committing yourself after the flop with almost half your money already in the pot.

Dew Man
Old 06-14-2005, 11:00 PM

Love the avatar man.

At these levels, when the action heats up NL becomes a game of the nuts, and nut outs. You have neither, so folding (both preflop and on the flop) is the best play.

I know limit is often a game of marginal odds but NL is a different beast. You want to be the likely favorite any time your hard earned money is going in. Big hands will play themselves, but it's folding the 50 marginal hands in between that will make money at NL and preserve your stack.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:14 PM

Oops, looks like I missed mentioning that I was trying to mix it up a little bit since I hadn't played a hand in a while. I agree with the rest of that first paragraph though.
And the second one too. I did kinda feel committed after that, you're right.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding didn't cross your mind?

you're beat here, by a.) a set, b.) the flopped straight, or c.) two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

slayerrdn
Old 06-14-2005, 11:18 PM

The Muppets are great, aren't they?

Yeah, NL is definitely more about having the nuts than limit (I'm much better at limit). This is why I play NL about once every three months and should probably do it even less.
[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I like the first half of your avatar better than the second, if that's what I think that is. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2005, 03:32 AM

Read a book about NL and then come back and play. Your also right, limit is way diff. that NL. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:42 AM

I know it's a lot smaller than the rest, but the "fold" button is in fact there.