Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 11:42 PM

Default Re: How do you make money : benchmarks for you

My worst run of cards was 0 for 80 hands at a 6 person table. I never hit a thing.
A really hot session sees me winning 30% of hands dealt, not just played , for about an hour. Oddly enough, these statistics have almost no correlation with the amount of money won or lost. I've won 30% of hands and been about even, and other times my $25 original stake now sits at $120. The difference is "lady luck" in my opinion. Your opponents must be dealt good second best hands in order for your top hands to make any money. We have all won $1.20 with a full boat on the flop, because nobody else got anything.
I hope this helps.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Re: How do you make money in SSNL?

I am 95% certain that you have those two confused. At stars $100 you should bully (in the right spots) and party $25 you should just value bet (they are all loose callers).
Old 12-15-2005, 12:50 AM

I'm currently playing in a place with some amazing crap players, and *very* high "see flop %" rate. In those situations, pair hands (AQ, JJ) are toilet paper. When 7 guys see the flop, more often than not, a pair won't stand up.

In a 30% flop % game, the standard 3x-4x+limpers bb raise is adequate, but not in uber-loose games. Consider raising your JJ/QQ to 6x-8x+limpers when there's limpers behind you. If you just take the blinds, fine. Those hands aren't where the $ comes from. At a 4x raise, you'll get 4-5 callers, and be in a very akward position when the flop comes.

The $ at very low stakes is in doubling up on AA/KK, and on monster hands. Screw AJ. Hello 34s.

Straights and flushes are where it's at. You get odds to make your draws profitable 70% of the time, and sometimes even correct odds to stick around with your bottom pair, ace kicker.

Implied odds for flushes are much better, since a lot of players don't respect the suits on the board, and a lot of players simply can't see straight and flush possibilities.

If you can put someone on anything more then TPTK, and you know you have them beat, push. Two pair will ALWAYS look you up in a $10 game.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I haven't had much luck putting them on hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had trouble reading bad players. Good players, though, play well, and unless they're excellent players, they play predictably. Therefore, if you know what they know in terms of game theory, their plays become pretty transparent. Additionally, with those guys, you make your bets in such a manner as to clearly communicate to them what your hand is, and have some idea of how they're going to react to that.

It comes with time.

Apparently if you pay attention to the game you learn how the fish play too, but... well... I've always been a big fan of multitabling so I don't have a damn clue. I just know that they call a lot with "surprise" holdings.

--Dave.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My opponents general inability to acknowledge the existence of hands better than their own.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or opponents better than themselves, or the nature of gambling in general, etc. etc.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am 95% certain that you have those two confused. At stars $100 you should bully (in the right spots) and party $25 you should just value bet (they are all loose callers).

[/ QUOTE ]

Variance is a bitch eh? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I said party x-skins at the $25 game, not the party $25 game. Before EB split (I haven't played them since) my opinion is that the x-skins were full of weak-tighties in the $25 game.

When I tried to play in the paradise 100 game or stars 100 game, coming from the x-skin 25's, I found that because I was being called more, I was losing money, and therefore had to adjust to a value-betting strategy.

--Dave.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:49 AM

I think to win at these stakes you should just start with a nut peddling strategy and slowly build up the position bluffing/valuebetting depending on how tight/loose your opponents are.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:34 AM

Most of the opponents I find at the 25NL are quite passive. They are happy to call your bets with any piece of the board, but when they reraise you they generally have something. Then you need to figure out which ones show this aggression with TPTK and which only show it with 2 pair or better.

But generally just try and stay patient, wait until you get a big hand and then value bet, value bet and value bet some more.