Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 09:56 PM

Default questions for bossjj

Hey boss,
I've enjoyed reading your posts, and I really enjoy studying different theologies, I've had a hard time finding a knowledgeable person of your faith to talk to, so I was wondering if you would answer a few questions for me. i'm not trying to start a debate, or argument, just curious.

if you don't mind,

first off,

what are the implications of going some 1935 years with no temple, and no sacrifices?

if the temple could be rebuilt, would it? under what conditions?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: questions for bossjj

Why not just repost this in the new "Why Jews Reject Jesus" thread.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:39 PM

I didn't want to hijack that thread, I hope he will answer.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey boss,
I've enjoyed reading your posts, and I really enjoy studying different theologies, I've had a hard time finding a knowledgeable person of your faith to talk to, so I was wondering if you would answer a few questions for me. i'm not trying to start a debate, or argument, just curious.

if you don't mind,

first off,

what are the implications of going some 1935 years with no temple, and no sacrifices?

if the temple could be rebuilt, would it? under what conditions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jews are meant to complete as many mitzvahs as they are capabale of completing. They cannot make sacrifices without the temple. With regard to the temple being rebuilt, here is something i posted in another thread when bluffthis asked this same question,

"taken from a website that i believe accurately answers your question:

"Standing today in what Jews believe is the historical location of the first two temples, is the Dome of the Rock, a Muslim shrine. The Al-Aqsa Mosque, the third holiest site in Islam, is located just to its south. To recognize the Dome of the Rock as the only possible rebuilt Temple, or to seriously attempt to tear it down to replace it, both constitute seemingly unresolvable religious and political problems. Nonetheless, the idea of rebuilding some Temple somewhere is difficult to abandon entirely:

For the last 1900 years, Jews have prayed that God would allow for the rebuilding of the Temple. This prayer is a formal part of the thrice daily Jewish prayer services.

However, not all rabbis agree on what would happen in a rebuilt Temple. It has traditionally been assumed that some sort of animal sacrifices would be reinstituted, in accord with the rules in Leviticus and the Talmud. However there is another opinion, beginning with Maimonides, that God deliberately has moved Jews away from sacrifices towards prayer, as prayer is a higher form of worship. Thus, some rabbis hold that sacrifices would not take place in a rebuilt Temple. Rabbi Abraham Isaac Kook, the first chief rabbi of the Jewish community in pre-state Israel, holds that sacrifices will not be reinstituted.

A few, very small, Jewish groups support constructing a Third Temple today, but most Jews oppose this, for a variety of reasons. Most religious Jews feel that the Temple should only be rebuilt in the messianic era, and that it would presumptuous of people to force God's hand, as it were. Furthermore, there are many ritual impurity constrictions that are difficult to resolve, making the building's construction a practical impossibility.

Additionally, many Jews are against rebuilding the Temple due to the enormously hostile reaction from all Arab and Muslim nations that would likely result— even were the building to be complementary to those holy to Islam, there would be high suspicion that such a building project would ultimately end with the destruction of these and the rebuilding of the Temple on its original spot.

Some fundamentalist and evangelical Christian groups, especially those who follow a dispensationalist theology, believe that the Jewish people will build the Third Temple shortly before, or perhaps after, "true" Christians have been raptured." "
Old 07-22-2005, 01:04 AM

great info, thanks.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:54 AM

This was discussed somewhat in this thread.

I've also addressed the issue in the first Why do Jews Reject Jesus? thread.

Briefly, when the Temple was standing, it was one way, but not the only way, to atone for unintentional sins. According to the Hebrew bible, prayer, repentence and charity also atone for sin. There are several examples and in the bible of people who had their sins atoned for without bringing a blood sacrifice. I discussed all this in a lot of detail and quoted many bible verses in the first "Why do Jews Reject Jesus?" thread.

It is forbidden to bring sacrifices anywhere except the Temple, so that is why we don't bring them nowadays. The bible says that the Temple will be rebuilt when the messiah comes.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:13 AM

Default Atonement

OK, if we're going to have a separate thread going, let's make this the atonement thread.

[ QUOTE ]
Briefly, when the Temple was standing, it was one way, but not the only way, to atone for unintentional sins. According to the Hebrew bible, prayer, repentence and charity also atone for sin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I note that you use the adjective "unintentional". Why?
Old 07-22-2005, 05:23 AM

Default Re: Atonement

He didn't repost there, so I figured I would just answer in this thread.

I answered your question in the other thread, which is where I first saw it. You are repeating a lot of questions which I already answered in the older threads.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:12 AM

thanks for the answer boss,
I just found this area, so let me read through those threads, and get up to speed, I might have more questions later.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:13 PM

I agree we should make this thread the "atonement thread." But you are just repeating questions I've already answered.

There are many verses were God says repentance (or something else) atones for sin. I know you think that we've been interpreting the verses wrong, but how do you explain all the actual examples of people who received atonement without bringing a blood sacrifice?

I will repost some relevant posts in this thread.