Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 07:13 AM

Default Re: what possesses the LAG donator?

Yea but if you're really successful, you try to excel and succeed at ever facet of your life. You just don't go [censored] up in poker.

Blackjack
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2005, 08:20 AM

I think this makes a lot of sense. Someone who can spend $900 on a lottery ticket, throw away $1-10,000 dollars a night on a game of poker or in a strip club or anywhere else isn't looking to grind out a big bet an hour. This question answers itself in the original post. He's not trying to grind; it's that simple. He's there for fun, to show off, etc. When I think deeply about it, I'm in fact impressed by a $900 lottery ticket and blowing thousands of dollars... why? because it means he has those thousands of dollars to blow. Thousands of dollars that I want to somehow take. All this has been said, I'm just repeating it for synopsis.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But the only thing I could infer about his motivations from observing him was a single-minded determination to give his money to the other five people at the table. I don't really believe this is what was going through his head, though, which is why I'm asking what others think his true motivations might be.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reasons only make sense to them just as the reasons we behave the way we do only make sense to us. Some of my reasons don't even make sense to me. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Let's look at one possible reason.

The LAG type player might be getting enjoyment from being the central focus of the game. Yes he is losing money but the perceived attention he feels he is getting is enough to make the activity seem worthwhile to him. He does not consciously know he is an attention whore.

Here are a few other possible reasons.

The limits in the game are to low for him and he is playing for fun only. How does a person that works hard to earn big money relax? Lets hope they play poker.

The guy is tilting for poker or real life reasons. He could be drunk on top of all of this.

She has won in the past with this style and is in denial of her overall win rate.

There are as many reasons as there are lag's imo. The important part is once you notice they are a lag you can be very confident they cannot and will not change their playing style.

I know a person that buys a combination lottery ticket that costs $900. We all know his chances of winning do not improve by buying this. He brags to me that he won $300 on it and he plans to buy one every draw from now on. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I explained the math to him and told him not to do it. He is a successful businessman. And he should be smart enough to understand this imo. He would not listen and he continues to buy them.

I think he does it just to make himself feel important. As he likes to show and tell people how much he spends on the tickets (This is his motivation). He has no idea how dumb he looks to most people. Worst part is I am probably wrong and this guy impresses the majority of people. It should not matter to me should it? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points. My gut tells me that this:

[ QUOTE ]
The guy is tilting for poker or real life reasons. He could be drunk on top of all of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

is what's really going on. I still doubt he's playing a style he thinks can win. Lots of LAGs do win in the short run, of course, and, as you wrote, could have the mentality that the style works sometimes and can work again, without recognizing their true win (loss) rate. But this guy was truly at a different level of lagginess, playing a style I don't believe could even win in the very short run.

I also didn't get the sense it was attention whoring, just because you'd think if that were it he'd be chatty. But he was totally silent, even though lots of other players were trying to engage him.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:55 AM

Whoever that sonofabitch is, I don't want him to get an hour older!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 11:14 AM

The most annoying thing is when you're at a table like this, and YOU'RE the only one the maniac keeps drawing out on, while everyone else is taking his money. I honestly think he doesn't care that much if he loses overall, as long as he can piss at least one player off with his crazy play.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The most annoying thing is when you're at a table like this, and YOU'RE the only one the maniac keeps drawing out on, while everyone else is taking his money. I honestly think he doesn't care that much if he loses overall, as long as he can piss at least one player off with his crazy play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely the pits. I recently had a maniac LAG in a Party 2/4 capping duel (me with AA, he with Q 3 off) and he pulled a runner-runner straight (and, the river was a gutshot draw. i.e. he capped the turn betting with a gut shot draw). Fighting through a murderous rage, I somehow managed to type "nh" in the chat box, which of course was ridiculous because no one at the table, including the LAG and me, believed I was being sincere. But he wasn't getting an angry peep out of me.

They crave negative excitement, like kids that shoot spit balls in 5th grade math class. They need to be disruptive. They want chaos, because maybe their life is too structured. Who knows, but I love them because their little weird psycho hang ups pay my bills. God bless them all.