Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Flush bluff w/ dry A (PLO8)

How often do you other PLO8 guys make the dry-Ace bluff like this? For me, it's all about whether I think the opponent has the ability to fold... would you all agree that this works best against strong players who tend to the aggressive side? Anyway, against those types, I have been making this play almost 100% of the time lately with good results.

$600 PL Omaha Hi/Lo
Table Table 36560 (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 2
Seat 8: Villian ( $553.8 )
Seat 2: Hero ( $634.2 )
Villian posts small blind [$3].
Hero posts big blind [$6].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Ad 4h 7c Ah ]
Villian calls [$3].
Hero raises [$12].
Villian calls [$12].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 2s, Td, Kd ]
Villian checks.
Hero checks.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 3h ]
Villian bets [$35].
Hero calls [$35].
** Dealing River ** [ 9d ]
Villian bets [$105].
Hero raises [$420].
Villian folds.
Hero does not show cards.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Flush bluff w/ dry A (PLO8)

I think you need something beyond just the dry Ace for this to work effectively.

Here, there was a busted low draw and flush possible. Which makes it
1) more likely that he could be bluffing, since he could put you on a busted low
2) less likely he could have a hand that might be able to call since there is no low
3) less likely he can call, since he needs a decent flush to consider it

Net, these were particularly favorable circumstances for a Dry Ace bluff
Old 05-05-2005, 04:05 AM

I agree with gergery. This particular example appears to be one of very favorable conditions. I would simply add the importance of knowing one's opponent. Obviously, this play will not work on someone who does not know how to lay down a hand. In order to make this move, you need to be confident in your read of the opponent.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:13 AM

I'm trying to figure out what the villian would have had to play the hand this way.

So villian calls his raise (not a big suprise heads up), but checks the flop to see where hero is at when only one low card and two high cards come.

(At this point I've got him on two low cards (maybe even A 4 or 3 5 with a K).

On the turn I would guess he either is still on his low draw or has two pair (3's and K's).

On the River, he misses his low draw and is sitting with two pair and takes a stab at the pot, but is looking at a straight and flush that beats him.

Folds to the big bet.

What do you think. Is this close?
Old 05-05-2005, 09:16 AM

I would also look at just how the hand was played out.

First off - there has been action, so there is a good sized pot to bluff at. If the pot were still small - bluff won't work.

Second, the hero here raised PF, then checked behind on the flop, and called behind on the turn. It makes it look like he has a strong starting hand, but that the flop was not kind to him. By just calling the turn bet, you are saying you like your hand as you want to stay in it, but you are probably still drawing.

Now that river comes - completing both the Straight and flush draws. So any real draw on the high side you were on just made it. That makes this the perfect place to bluff.

You set it up really well on the early streets.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:24 AM

All the time. http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?p...amp;hand=58938
One thing to remember though is that if you do you must first work out on the river, that your opponent has atleast one pot bet left. If you bet the pot on the turn and your opponent has a set, he will often call just because he is stupid, if he hasn't got much left on the river he may just call it off anyway "since he has value to call" (what a stupid statement fish use).
In fact in the games I play, I will often call the flop with a naked ace flush draw simply because if it hits, its the same as having the flush, you bet, everyone folds (because I'm a good player you see, so I always have it).
What makes the naked ace so powerful is Omaha is a game about the nuts. If I know nobody has the nuts I will always bet the pot since no-one can call. The Ace is the only way this can be achieved without actually having the best hand at the table. (apart from of course holding AAAA on a QJT98 board, although you best hope your opponent doesnt have KKKQ else he might just figure you for the rob ;-) )