Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 11:18 AM

Default AQ in CO, Button cold calls

So I've only been at this table for about an orbit or so. CO seems like a somewhat informed player when this comes up.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $2.
UTG (poster) checks,1 fold</font>, Hero raises</font>, Button calls,2 folds</font>, UTG folds.

Flop: (6.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button bets</font>, Hero raises(?)</font>, Button calls.

I'm thinking his cold call indicates a pair of some sort. I think he thinks (and correctly) that his pair is good. So I thought I might get tricky on turn. I had just recently sat down but I felt sure that he would bet turn.

River: (8.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>
Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

I usually four table 2/4 but right now I am working on clearing the poker stars bonus and am playing a mix of 2/4 and 2/6 6 max, no more than two tables ever. Therefore I am somewhat new to this and though I know I need to improve I think I have a decent feel for the game at the moment.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: AQ in CO, Button cold calls

Bet the turn. Someone who coldcalls with a pair here isn't folding it on this board, and putting him just on that is too narrow.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:05 PM

This play would have worked against me assuming you had the right image at the time. Won't work against most players in that game though, that's for sure.

Nice catch on the river, did he say any anything? I'm guessing he went ballistic, that game is full of people with the maturity of 12-year-olds in my experience, though apparently that's the norm for online poker.

ZZZ
Old 10-18-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn. Someone who coldcalls with a pair here isn't folding it on this board, and putting him just on that is too narrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, these guys will peel with worse aces, etc., I think a pocket pair is a small slice of his range on the turn.

thank your lucky stars he didn't check through JT there...
Old 10-18-2005, 12:28 PM

I didn't notice if he said anything or not. Yes, it was a nice catch over his tens. I picked him because I could tell he knew what was going on. I had seen him being active and aggressive, but also fold a hand when he had been preflop raiser (which some of these guys will showdown religiously). Anyway, while I probably should have waited to get a better read before trying this move, it is a move that I quite like.