Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Playing against loose opponents

I'm quite new to 6 Max games and would like to know if I'm playing against loose opponents correctly. Basically, if they have a VPIP over 40 I'm isolating them via a raise or re-raise when I have 'showdown hands' i.e. Any Ace, K9 or above, 66 or above. I then play to a showdown unless it becomes blatantly obvious that I'm beat. Is this opproach about right or should I be setting the VPIP threshold higher or are my 'showdown' cards too weak/strong. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers
Old 12-02-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Playing against loose opponents

That strategy may be a little off. It's not clear if you are picking your spots well. Like if a loose UTG limps, and you have A6o, you don't want to be isolating from UTG+1. Isolating from button is good, and isolating from CO probably depends on how tight button and the blinds are.

It also sounds like you might be going to showdown too often. It's hard to talk about general strategy, since each hand/opponent is different. But if you iso raise with A6 or K9, and you have no pair no draw, against passive opponents you should be folding when they show any strength at all usually.

Z
Old 12-02-2005, 03:05 PM

I think that's the strategy for 70-80 percent VPIP maniacs who will bet anything on the river and maybe even 3 bet with nothing but a K high.

It's incredible to me when I see one of these players how many other players at the table don't recognize that this is someone you have to go to showdown with every time you get in the pot with them.

But I think you need to wait for a specific read that you're dealing with that kind of player before you implement your strategy. There are also a lot of 40 percent VPIP players who get pretty sensible post flop, and even a little tricky since they'll be playing a range of cards that makes it impossible to tell if the flop has hit them. Plus other players at the table are going to get your pattern and start 3 betting your isolation attempts.

And like the other poster said, position matters a lot, too.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:32 PM

I'm also new to 6-max and got in a 1/2 game yesterday on Ultimate Bet with some true maniacs. Three players were VPIP of 80, 75, and 70 and almost every hand was being capped pre-flop. I was playing about 30 VPIP and raising about 13. I thought I should be able to make money off these chip-spewers, but I really had no idea what to do since they were calling down with ANYTHING. It was more like putting money in a slot machine than playing poker. I bailed out. Any suggestions on dealing with three complete maniacs other than getting out?
Old 12-10-2005, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. I've put some hours in this week playing against maniacs and after a huge downward swing I had an upward swing that paid me back with interest. I think I'm happy with my strategy against one maniac but two or more and I'm not so sure yet.

Our showdown hands need to be stronger if more than one maniac is going to showdown with you but how much stronger I have not worked out yet.

Other posters have advised me to get to showdown as cheaply as possible against two or more maniacs whereas against one maniac you should be value betting.