Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 02:43 AM

Default 10/20 Pocket Nines. Fun hand, decisions on all streets.

Pulled this from PT. I probably had some reads at the time, but don't remember what they were now.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (13 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (15 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB
Old 11-19-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Re: 10/20 Pocket Nines. Fun hand, decisions on all streets.

I like the preflop call. I think I am trying to do this now with my medium/high PP so that I can raise the flop (or check raise if the 3-bet came from LP). Flop seems fine. Check raising also wouldn't be so bad, and I am unsure of which is better, but I think just ramming and jamming is fine here.

I don't really get your turn and river play. Why not take this perfect opportunity for a turn check raise? I think you are risking too much by attempting to check raise the river. The turn check raise is just so much easier.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:00 AM

He was pretty aggressive and I thought there was some chance he would pop me again on the turn (don't know if that was realistic) and I could get in three-bets and then bet the river. If he fails to pop the turn, I can go for the check-raise on the river and make up the bet I missed by not check-raising the turn since most 10/20 guys who would cap an overpair on the flop are going to value bet it on the river once I check despite how much strength I've shown. There's also the chance that he capped the flop intending to check behind on the turn. I'm not saying that this the right way to play it; that's I don't know and that's why I'm posting it. But looking at it now, I feel okay with how I played it. But I'm not sure about anything. Including the flop play.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:06 AM

I love the river. If UTG is a thinking player, he's got to put you on T9 after you check. I think this works enough.

Pf is correct, I believe.

Obviously there are several reasonable lines on the flop and turn. I'm not sure which one is best. I probably would have check raised the flop and went from there.

Z
Old 11-19-2005, 03:07 AM

I think he valuebets every pair on the river, especially with the board pairing there. I'd prefer a turn check/raise there though. He checks that through just about never.

I'd also rather check/raise the flop there. You can probably get SB to call along much more often than he would. UTG also will 3-bet all of his overpairs or wait until the turn to pop you. Either way is awesome.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He was pretty aggressive and I thought there was some chance he would pop me again on the turn (don't know if that was realistic) and I could get in three-bets and then bet the river. If he fails to pop the turn, I can go for the check-raise on the river and make up the bet I missed by not check-raising the turn since most 10/20 guys who would cap an overpair on the flop are going to value bet it on the river once I check despite how much strength I've shown. There's also the chance that he capped the flop intending to check behind on the turn. I'm not saying that this the right way to play it; that's I don't know and that's why I'm posting it. But looking at it now, I feel okay with how I played it. But I'm not sure about anything. Including the flop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

After capping the flop, and then getting led into on the turn, a lot of opponents won't raise here. Also, you said he might be capping the flop for a free turn. While this is possible, it is really unlikely. The board doesn't have a flush, and the only OESD is QJ, which is not a likely holding considering his preflop cap. KQ MIGHT try to do this, but I also think it is rather unlikely. On this particular river, I can see how a check raise can work often enough, but on most rivers, I don't know if you can count on it. I still like a turn check raise.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On this particular river, I can see how a check raise can work often enough, but on most rivers, I don't know if you can count on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I shouldn't have made it sound like I was going to checkraise most river because that really wasn't the case. I wasn't thinking about that when I bet the turn, but when I saw what card slid off on the river, it was obvious what play I needed to make.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:25 AM

this hand was expertly played IMO, nh.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:55 AM

The river is super sexy. Nice hand.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:04 AM

the only street i dont like is the flop....
PFcapper is directly on your left, you absolutely checkraise there.
if it come T86, fine, bet... but you are so strong here id just concentrate on getting value.
you really dont want the sb out if he has AQ.

all else looks nice.