Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2004, 07:34 PM

Default how did I play it?

Just a hand I played recently, was wondering what you guys thought.

.50/1 NL
Hero is dealt 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB LP raises to 2.75, Hero calls.

Flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Hero Raises Pot, Villain Calls

Turn is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero Bets Pot, Villain Calls

River is K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Hero Checks, Villain pushes. I go in the tank.
<font color="white">
mongoose53207 bets 119.90 and is all-in
mongoosetx: gl
frisbeepunk: sigh.
mongoose53207: ty
frisbeepunk: shoulda pushed on the turn
frisbeepunk: ...x_x
frisbeepunk: 7-10
frisbeepunk called time
Hippyboy: call
billem: 2 pairs, wins
frisbeepunk: flush is mah worry.
frisbeepunk calls 107.45 and is all-in
mongoose53207 takes back 12.45
mongoose53207 shows two pair, kings and eights (cards were Ks 8d)
frisbeepunk shows a ten high straight
frisbeepunk wins 245.65 with a ten high straight
</font>
Old 09-02-2004, 07:36 PM

Default Re: how did I play it?

You have king high, and this is on the wrong board.

Christ.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:02 PM

does he.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:17 PM

I would've folded preflop with that trash hand.
On the flop, I would've checked at such low limits, a bluff isn't going to work anyways if he has a decent hand (he did raise preflop.)
On the turn, you made a solid value bet.
By playing a T7o, you've really put yourself into a situation at the river. I'd lean towards fold, but it depends on how much the guy bluffs.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd lean towards fold, but it depends on how much the guy bluffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but that's absolutely awful. Any flush would have to have been runner-runner. This is an absolutely easy call. Expect to be shown a slow played set.

Justin A
Old 09-03-2004, 01:14 AM

call.
only feasible holding that beats you is QT.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:43 AM

oops, i wasn't thinking [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2004, 10:22 AM

Why do your results say that you had a ten-high straight? You had a jack-high straight.

Easy fold preflop. Every time.

On the flop, semi-bluff would be reasonable against someone who sometimes folds on the flop. Clearly, this guy doesn't. Note that on the flop he had NOTHING -- no pair, no draw, just a single overcard -- and he called your bet. You shouldn't be bluffing or semi-bluffing this guy at all. You should wait until you have something and then bet for value, since he clearly will call with crap.

On the turn, you made your miracle card, potted, and were called. great. You didn't bother to give us the stack or pot sizes, but I calculate that it is about $48 at the end of the turn.

On the river, he raises the $48 pot another $119. This entire hand is so nutty, with the raises and calls with such crap, that I would not be surprised if he made a runner-runner flush here, nor would I be surprised if he had nothing. In the actual hand, he made a runner-runner two pair(!) If he is really this much of a fish, then you will have better chances to take his money. On the other hand, that requires that you play better than he does, which isn't clear from this hand.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:55 AM

His results are wrong because he edited the post after he originally posted it. I don't know what exactly is going on but something isn't square.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do your results say that you had a ten-high straight? You had a jack-high straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is strange. Something not right here.

[ QUOTE ]
Easy fold preflop. Every time.

On the flop, semi-bluff would be reasonable against someone who sometimes folds on the flop. Clearly, this guy doesn't. Note that on the flop he had NOTHING -- no pair, no draw, just a single overcard -- and he called your bet. You shouldn't be bluffing or semi-bluffing this guy at all. You should wait until you have something and then bet for value, since he clearly will call with crap.

On the turn, you made your miracle card, potted, and were called. great. You didn't bother to give us the stack or pot sizes, but I calculate that it is about $48 at the end of the turn.

On the river, he raises the $48 pot another $119. This entire hand is so nutty, with the raises and calls with such crap, that I would not be surprised if he made a runner-runner flush here, nor would I be surprised if he had nothing. In the actual hand, he made a runner-runner two pair(!) If he is really this much of a fish, then you will have better chances to take his money. On the other hand, that requires that you play better than he does, which isn't clear from this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more with all of this. On the end, against an idiot like the villian here, I don't think there is any way you can fold for this push when you have less than the pot left anyway. While it's true that better opportunities may come, this call is just too +EV to turn down while the fish still has $$. Of course, if you keep playing garbage like this for raises preflop, you are most like going to end up at the $0.02 tables anyway.