Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: What do overbets usually mean in online tourneys?

Way to many variables to just say it's "this" or "that".

Hers some thoughts tho:

Mike Caros book on tells suggests "strong means weak" & "weak means strong". This is often true.

However, if the opponent is well educated in more than just the numbers of poker, they may use this to thier advantage in certain situations and try to use the reverse tell. I know I have on more than one occasion. In both cash games and tournaments. Who the hell open raises all-in preflop in a cash game 100x the BB with Aces? I have, when the game was so frisky and I expected 1 or 2 particular players to call.

Or take the monotone flop, say K high, with a preflop raiser. The BB shoves for 5x the pot! I've done that too! Flopping a set and fully expecting the preflop raiser to make a bad call with AK or AQ with the ace of the suit. But I'm putting him to the test. he's 2:1 to get there, I could still fill-up, I am the long term money favorite and would also be satisfied if he folds...often I prefer this!!

Also, when the flop has 1-3 different draws out there, and the aggressor has say TPTK he doesnt want to give the correct odds to let the draws in. This is an area I try to take advantage of when players underbet the pot, giving me almost infinite implied odds to draw. Yet I'll fold in a heartbeat when they overbet and do not offer me the odds.

Using these 2-3 examples you can see this is player dependent, situation dependent, flop dependent, etc...."it depends".