Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability

Old 12-29-2005, 10:43 PM

Default AK probability of 4 card draw

i've found the probability of flopping a straight is.33%
with pocket AK, but haven't found the probability of flopping a 4 out straight draw?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: AK probability of 4 card draw

You have AK and want to make a straight draw. To do that you must draw two of the three missing cards (QJT) and any other card except the card that makes a straight.

So, the probability is C(3;2) * C(4;1) * C(4;1) * C(46;1) / C(50;3) ~ 11.2%
Old 12-30-2005, 12:12 AM

OK so the probability of flopping a 4 card straight holding AK is 11.2%. am i right here holding JT (suited or not) flopping a 8 out open end straight is 7.21%, so does that mean you have around a 3% better chance of flopping the 4 out draw over the 8 out draw, if thats the case a simple yes will work cause i dont think i have the capable understanding of how the heck to to read all the math stuff that tells me why its that way but i can understand a simple yes. thank you-doodleky
Old 12-30-2005, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
am i right here holding JT (suited or not) flopping a 8 out open end straight is 7.21%

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's 9.6% for flopping an 8-out straight draw with a suited JT (including 0.6% for double gutshots), and 0.1% or so higher for JTo since you don't have to exclude any made flushes.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:47 AM

thanks bruce for the 9.6%
i've got some much writen down from various sites, and sometimes i find different % on things, anyways i'm looking at that 7.21%, thats going to the trash!!! putting all it together, and wanting to make sure i got the answers,
and I KNOW YOU AND A.B. ARE RIGHT!! learned how to look up
peoples posts and read all yours and aarons, hope you guys never get tired of helping so much to those of us(me)who have so little to offer has. again thank you
Old 12-30-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK so the probability of flopping a 4 card straight holding AK is 11.2%. am i right here holding JT (suited or not) flopping a 8 out open end straight is 7.21%, so does that mean you have around a 3% better chance of flopping the 4 out draw over the 8 out draw, if thats the case a simple yes will work cause i dont think i have the capable understanding of how the heck to to read all the math stuff that tells me why its that way but i can understand a simple yes. thank you-doodleky

[/ QUOTE ]

YES. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

11.2% if you hold AK offsuit, if you have AK suited you must subtract a little because of a possible flush. This is left as an exercise for the student.