Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-23-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Please help me cleanse my computer (please i cant work!)

Recently my computer was afflicted with a trojan horse called SDBOT (originally thought it was MYTOB but I ran mytobfix from symantec plus several scans and only found sdbot). It resulted in my neteller passwords, etc being stolen and the story is here.

To fix the situation I ran scans using Norton's (which found nothing) and AVG's free software. I followed the directions foud on symantec's website to remove the virus (safe mode, scans, cleaning the registry [but nothing was found in the registry]).

I ran all the scans again (microsoft spyware, avg, nortons) and nothing was found by any of the programs.
Yesterday I was assuming (hoping) that everything was clear. However, today (ugh) I got a pop up from AVG warning me of a trojan.

Here is a screenshot of my event history log..

I would like to fix this as it is seriously inhibiting my ability to xfer my poker funds and is making me feel uncomfortable about using my computer.

Please note, I know very, very little about computers so you would have to walk me through this. I am seriously considering reformatting my harddrive but
1) i don't know how to
2) there is a ton of stuff (not a ton, but some) i dont want to lose and
3) i dont know how to back that stuff up, etc.

pleasepleasepleaseplease help!
Old 12-24-2005, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Please help me cleanse my computer (please i cant work!)

[ QUOTE ]
Recently my computer was afflicted with a trojan horse called SDBOT (originally thought it was MYTOB but I ran mytobfix from symantec plus several scans and only found sdbot). It resulted in my neteller passwords, etc being stolen and the story is here.

To fix the situation I ran scans using Norton's (which found nothing) and AVG's free software. I followed the directions foud on symantec's website to remove the virus (safe mode, scans, cleaning the registry [but nothing was found in the registry]).

I ran all the scans again (microsoft spyware, avg, nortons) and nothing was found by any of the programs.
Yesterday I was assuming (hoping) that everything was clear. However, today (ugh) I got a pop up from AVG warning me of a trojan.

Here is a screenshot of my event history log..

I would like to fix this as it is seriously inhibiting my ability to xfer my poker funds and is making me feel uncomfortable about using my computer.

Please note, I know very, very little about computers so you would have to walk me through this. I am seriously considering reformatting my harddrive but
1) i don't know how to
2) there is a ton of stuff (not a ton, but some) i dont want to lose and
3) i dont know how to back that stuff up, etc.

pleasepleasepleaseplease help!

[/ QUOTE ]

Reformat if you can't remove it. Make sure you have your windows installation disk that cane with your computer, if you don't call your computer company and ask for a new one or buy a new one at best buy for $130. Also, get an external hard drive to backup everything you need.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:58 PM

i was hoping for some removal suggestions
Old 12-27-2005, 01:39 PM

Based on the screen shot of your log, it appears that the trojan is in a restore point. You might try turning of system restore (under "System" in the Control Panel, or right click "My Computer" and select properies) and set the allowed disk space to the minimum.

[lecture]Also, BACK UP YOUR DATA. You need to learn how to do this, and do it regularly. You say you have a ton of stuff you don't want to lose. If you don't back up, you will lose it sooner or later. It's a question of when, not if.[/lecture]