Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 05:25 AM

Default Re: Makes sense to NOT move up?

think about a couple things:

1) if you move up past a certain level, the competition might at some point become so difficult that you have to reduce the number of tables you play or suffer because you need to focus on player characteristics more. this level is at least $50.

2) are the swings going to be emotionally too much for you? the $50 to $100 and $100 to $200 large jumps will result in massively larger swings because roi will be lower and (obv) the stakes are higher. it's very possible that 50 cents more per tournament in the long isn't worth having nights where you'll lose $1500 instead of your normal awful downswing of $600 (numbers chosen fairly randomly).

edit: 3) rb/vip also can be significant when you move up
Old 11-21-2005, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
think about a couple things:

1) if you move up past a certain level, the competition might at some point become so difficult that you have to reduce the number of tables you play or suffer because you need to focus on player characteristics more. this level is at least $50.

2) are the swings going to be emotionally too much for you? the $50 to $100 and $100 to $200 large jumps will result in massively larger swings because roi will be lower and (obv) the stakes are higher. it's very possible that 50 cents more per tournament in the long isn't worth having nights where you'll lose $1500 instead of your normal awful downswing of $600 (numbers chosen fairly randomly).

edit: 3) rb/vip also can be significant when you move up

[/ QUOTE ]

point number 3 makes quite a bit of diff too.. the rakeback jump can help like 2-3 bucks per tourney. thats pretty nice if yer a large volume player. its worth the swings for a couple hundo extra per day. or not.. actually i hate dropping 4k in an evening session and it being normal. holla
Old 11-21-2005, 06:21 AM

exactly, in my opinion losing a couple thousand a night would cause lots of problems with school and doing work cause when i'm down i usually like to keep playing hoping the cooler warms up, so if i have a pset due the next day, it might come last. being used to this at the college age can also probably screw up our concept of money for when we get regular jobs. also, it sucks going to sleep knowing you were $4000 richer 5 hours before.

on the other hand, we are playing a gambling game and maybe this just means only those cut out to handle the swings can be the biggest winners.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Durron is going citanul on us tonight.

EDIT: got it before it got locked! woot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I wasn't planning to lock this one. But he asked about making more at the 33s because of worse play, and I supplied him the threads that answered his question.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:25 AM

a) I don't understand why everyone is telling him about the chip sizes... he already told us he plays at Stars, so the starting chip count is irrelevant.

b) Having 1500 chips to start out may also account for his higher ROI, since these tournies take longer, which are more favorable to the better players.

c) If you're doing well at the $33s, the $55s aren't much tougher. It's not like a magical switch will get turned on where all the players are super gosu.

d) What are you trying to do: make money or get better at poker? If it's getting better at poker, move up. If it's making money: are you happy with the amount you make at the $33s right now? The $55s on Party are absolutely donktastic.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i assure you even the 119 turbo 6 maxes on stars are about as donkey filled as the 22s on party. you wont have too much trouble. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

my problem with this level is that it's 5 minute rounds instead of ten. I don't get why they don't run a non-turbo version of this.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:09 AM

People don't stay back because they know in their heart of hearts that 43% is not sustainable. Might as well take the heater to the next level and hope it lasts a little while longer at the higher stakes.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
did you happen to look at the ROI for the 30s on the same page? how about you look again and realize what a "heater" is

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing in the FAQ is THAT relevant to OP's q. The 6 handed games at stars have 1500 in chips, slow blinds (10minutes?), and different payout structure (70-30??).

I assume he plays the 36s or whatever it is. These games allow, and actually REQUIRE a lot of poker to be played. NOt only do blind-stack ratio stay wide, but the blinds come around fast so a lot of post flop poker is necessary. This will usually allow cream to rise to the top and I wouldne be surprised if higher than normal ROIs were recorded long term.

As far as moving up goes, I would dabble in them and see. Also consider that the higher 6 handed SNGs probably do not fill up as fast on stars so mulititabling could be a problem.

FWIW, I started out playing the 12s-6 handed a long time ago and remember them being quite easy...and I was a total donk at the time.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:31 PM

Thanks, pooh - I'm having a hard time fitting into this forum because nobody else plays the same game I do. It seems that only a very small number of players play these limits regularly. There's only probably three players I see every day.

I honestly do believe that a higher than normal ROI is sustainable at this level though. The interesting thing about my stats is that the deviation seems significantly less. I guess I need to wait till I have about 2000 in tournaments to really know.

Maybe I should write stars support and plead them to add a non-turbo $119
Old 11-21-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should write stars support and plead them to add a non-turbo $119

[/ QUOTE ]

what is the next BI after the 30s for the 6Handed?

I used to feel alone here too...now everyone and their mother is playing the stars turbos. I'm sure the same will happen with the all the games eventually.