Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Easy call?

[ QUOTE ]
well It seems lots of people on here like calling when they think/know they're beaten.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree you see this a lot here and it drives me nuts. Not in this thread though. I am 90% sure the hero has the best hand after villan checks the turn. If he did a normal 1/2-2/3 bet on the turn I would be 99% sure. That does not = knowing you are beaten. The hands that drive me nuts are the ones where people say to push a strait into a paired board. In this hand you have an overfull to the paired board, about as good as a spot as there is next to the stone cold nuts.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:57 AM

don't think just about the turn check then. Think the whole hand through and you will see he is beaten or not getting any money from worse hands on the river.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
don't think just about the turn check then. Think the whole hand through and you will see he is beaten or not getting any money from worse hands on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

This forum is probably really gonna drive you nuts then hehe. The vast majority of "easy call?' type questions are in fact easy folds, written by a person who wants some justification for his bad call. This is one of the few that were not.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This forum is probably really gonna drive you nuts then hehe.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is because people rarely post hands that they win.

The fact that people want to make calls because they have to be right x amount of times when they know they're beaten and use that as an excuse is sickening. Anyways this hand was not about that but you know where I'm going.

So it I never asked directly but maybe you can answer me...what worse hand calls? What worse hand pushes after a river bet? Given the play of this hand there is almost 0% chance villain has AK.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
River is a duece. Hero bets half pot, villain raises. Now why would villain do this? He certainly doesn't have KK/QQ now. Since he checked the turn and given his donkish play preflop I give him credit for AA and a very slight AKo/s hand. I am destroyed against one and the other I don't believe is very likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain does this because Hero has shown no strength at all in this hand; he called the 2 PF raises, called on the flop, checked the turn and is now 1/2 pot'ing the river. Is villain really going to believe that a weak unsuited deuce somehow helped Hero's hand enough that a 1/2 PSB is now worthwhile?

To villain this looks a lot like a bluff with a busted straight draw or some badly played overcards that missed.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This forum is probably really gonna drive you nuts then hehe.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is because people rarely post hands that they win.

The fact that people want to make calls because they have to be right x amount of times when they know they're beaten and use that as an excuse is sickening. Anyways this hand was not about that but you know where I'm going.

So it I never asked directly but maybe you can answer me...what worse hand calls? What worse hand pushes after a river bet? Given the play of this hand there is almost 0% chance villain has AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way I would have played it there would be no river calls or pushes to contemplate. I lead pot, if he reraises which is probable then I reraise again. At that point I have half my money in and am not folding no matter what comes on turn and river. It is harder for me to make judgements about hands when they were played pretty much the opposite of how I would have played them. I am almost never in a situation like this, not because I am some great player, just my personal playing style tends to avoid this river situation when I flop a set and the pot was raised pre flop.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:22 PM

I bet the turn, dont check it build the pot. And yes calling is standard...
Old 10-22-2005, 02:23 PM

I just got stacked in very similar circumstances at NL100. I led the flop and he 'slowplayed' his overpair and hit on the turn. I like the flop provided there is a very high chance that he'll continuation bet. Reason being that the other two players get a chance to call/raise before you ramp it up to $100 or so. I don't like a flat call get the money in now. No card is going to change your opinion on the hand but a 7 might kill your action. Very few players will fold an overpair to one raise on the flop so get the money in while you're ahead.

NB I'm assuming an overpair because preflop action says either overpair or AK.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:49 PM

Overall, I liked how you slowplayed it by checking on the turn when there was an A as I assume you were wanting to trap him if he makes a bet and you would either check-raise or smooth call him and get more money on the river.

However, you already indicated that you believed BB had at least an A, so why not lead with a modest size bet on the turn when the A appeared? BB would definitely at the very least call your bet and if he reraised you then you would have had a chance to re-evaluate if maybe instead he flopped trip-8's or was protecting his pair with AK. You should have also made a modest bet on the flop, as someone holding overcards such as an A would probably call to at least see one more card on the turn.

But regardless, you were going to be beaten on this hand no matter what you did with BB's pocket A's. Your trap was basically outtrapped by an even sneakier trap!

Regards, Steve