Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 02:31 PM

Default An opinion

This was interesting. There was a response to a post that said "90% of all people who play poker are loosers..."

Now I wonder how true this is. If it is, why play poker if you are only 10% to succeed? Let's get an analysis, who here can HONESTLY say you are a winning player. I don't care how much you win or loose. If you have a bankroll that is in the positive, at least lets say.. more then 30BB at the level you play at, can you safely say you are a winning player? It doesn't matter what limit you play at either.

Am I a winning player?
Yes or No.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:48 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: An opinion

[ QUOTE ]
This was interesting. There was a response to a post that said "90% of all people who play poker are loosers..."

Now I wonder how true this is. If it is, why play poker if you are only 10% to succeed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people play craps, roulette or any other -EV game where there are no longterm winners?

You really think people see poker as that much different? I don't.

b
Old 07-25-2005, 03:06 PM

this would have been better as a poll.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:08 PM

Id like to see the results on this. However, I dont think everyone on here would be honest with themselves.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:19 PM

I'm a winning player... I made a response about something similar in another post... First of all, I think 10% is a large number given how many people play poker and second of all, I think the general "win/success" rate in life at most things is around 10%. Remember, you don't have to be better than 90% of players to win, you only need to be better than 50% of the people you play with, to be part of that winning 10% of overall people. Why does everyone who is losing assume everyone is losing?

Edit: You actually don't even really need to be better than 50% of the people you play with. You just need to continually make "winning" decisions... it just so happens only 10% of people can do that over the long run.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Id like to see the results on this. However, I dont think everyone on here would be honest with themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]
of course the results wouldn't be honest, hell no poll on these forums are honest whether it has to do with poker or not but i am willing to bet that this community has a higher percentage of success rate than your avg poker player with Homer's Bonus Whoring Guide and all the links to rake back sites and all the extensive detail the forums.

think about it 2+2 only has what 35K people on it and we are talking millions and millions that play poker.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:42 PM

Yes, you must make sure that you can at least beat your table. Just make sure you are not the worst one sitting at the table. I know this would have been better as a poll. Anyway, the only flaw in the data would be the person's honesty or not. As for me. I'm playing at 2/4 right now and I have at least more than 30BB.(I'm hoping I can keep it up). Millions play poker so you only have to be in the top 100,000 I guess.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:05 PM

Top 100,000 per Million [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2005, 04:52 PM

Am I a winning player? Well, unless I am hallucinating about how the withdrawals I have made are many time the deposits I have made, yes I am.

Are you a winning player (which is what your post asked)? Well, given you can't make a poll properly ... :P
Old 07-25-2005, 05:03 PM

Never made a poll before [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]