Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Bluff raise when I pair my door

Online 10/20 4-handed

My opponents in this hand are pretty weak and are the reason I'm at the table. They are fairly aggressive on 4th street but shrivel up later in the hand.

I bring in with (5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Player 1 (P1) calls with the 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], the 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] folds, and Player 2 (P2) calls with the K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

3rd Street:
Me: (5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
P1: (xx) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
P2: (xx) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

4th Street:
Me: (5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
P1: (xx) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
P2: (xx) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

P2 checks, I check, P1 bets, P2 calls, and I checkraise. My thinking here was that (a) P1 would bet almost any hand here and P2 will frequently call with anything and (b) try and represent a different hand than I actually had. In any event, P1 3-bets, P2 caps, and we all call. I could have folded right there, but called basically for implied odds and meta-game reasons. At this point I'm pretty sure P2 has a king in the hole and P2 has at least a pair of jacks, but there's no reason to think either has two pair.

5th Street:
Me: (5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
P1: (xx) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
P2: (xx) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Now I'm open ended, so I'm seeing the river unless things get really ugly. P1 is high with the ace and bets. Both P2 and I call.

6th Street:
Me: (5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
P1: (xx) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
P2: (xx) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Now here's where things get interesting. I pair my door card, which means nothing to me but should to them. But P1 bets his open aces and P2 calls. Now I'm thinking that P2 might have the case aces in the hole. I decide to make the risky protected pot raise.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Bluff raise when I pair my door

If this isnt a joke post this is a crazy idea, blumpkin. I can think of very few plays worse than trying something like this (on 6th) against weak players who are simply going to call down. Is this a prank?

Mike Emery
Old 12-03-2005, 01:23 AM

Nope, not a joke. I didn't mean that they were calling stations when I said they were weak. They are capable of laying down hands, although I'm not sure if those hands include aces up. But I'm definitely calling sixth here, so I'm getting like a dozen to one on a raise here.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:03 AM

Sounds like a big pot on 6th, if player 2 isn't willing to lay down his kings (up?) to possible open aces, do you really think you will get both to fold by repping trips? Especially because you were forced to bring-in.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:43 AM

That’s exactly why I call down there… to defend against this kind of [censored]. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously though… he will certainly call on 6th, like he should getting over 13-1. So you are hoping he will fold aces up on the river for one bet in a $300+ pot. I don’t think that’ll ever happen.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:21 AM

You should be out of the hand on 4th after the first bet. ck raising is absurd, but the most absurd is calling the double reraise after that. this is reckless poker and foolish at best. It's just horrible play. You are worried about 6th? Your hand was over on 4th. I continue to see more and more absurd reckelss online play and this hand is no exception. This hand made me sick.

I'm going to bed now. I just hope I don't have nightmares about this hand.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:55 AM

4th:This would not normally be a raise,of course.But I understand that you can manhandle these players.So your raise likely has +EV.Your hand is so light that your raise is more of a float than a semi-bluff.Interesting.
5th:Your hand is nicely concealed.
6th:Wow!If this were live play I'd think you guys were passing a J around the table.I hope you won this hand.LOL.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:08 AM

On 4th:

[ QUOTE ]
P1 would bet almost any hand here and P2 will frequently call with anything

[/ QUOTE ]

and after it gets reraised, I

[ QUOTE ]
called basically for implied odds and meta-game reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meta, dude. Meta.

Sweet dreams,
blumpkin
Old 12-03-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a prank?

Mike Emery

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike, can you make more posts like this? No offense to Blumpkin of course, but this just really made my morning.