Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Assessment

Kurosh---
U gotta stop posting bad beat stories man. No wonder people find you annoying on here. Bad beats happen to all of us, what makes you think we care an extra ammount about your bad beats. BTW-- I do think you have skills to be a winning player, but if you cant make yourself stop thinking about the $$ then you are constently going to go broke.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:05 AM

By Catt

This is a dim-witted post;
The kind that we all hate the most;
A jumble of stats,
Or downswinging “Rats!”
Like a virus in search of a host.

If you are a good, winning player,
As opposed to a chip-spewing brayer,
Get back to the felt,
Play the hands that you’re dealt,
And soon you’ll be doing OKer.

Take my advice, please, you unthinking clod,
In the form of this good-natured prod,
This won’t help your game,
But will get you flamed,
Stop posting this crap! Where’s the Mod?

Krishan
Old 11-14-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: SnG = Variance

[ QUOTE ]
I've played SNGs and they have the highest variance except for MTTs. You can read threads about it in the SnG forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow I'm very surprised by this. You sure?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:52 AM

Sup dude... I think it's healthy that you get this out of your system. Bad beat posts are alright as long as they're infrequent. Take a few days off if you have to. You'll come back stronger than ever.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:25 PM

Solid [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've played SNGs and they have the highest variance except for MTTs. You can read threads about it in the SnG forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he's incorrect.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno..but its interesting...
Why SNGs have more varience than ring games
Old 11-14-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno..but its interesting...
Why SNGs have more varience than ring games

[/ QUOTE ]

This line is all you really need:

If you are a small ROI earner, then ring games might have less variance if you are good at them.

He's talking about someone who is better at limit than they are at sngs. Also, I know it'll freak most of the math people out on this board, but I have serious problems with the SD measures as they relate to winrate. I don't think they are anywhere near accurate enough, and we shouldn't be assuming a normal distribution to analyze the math in poker.

I don't know what we should be using, and maybe(likely) nothing is perfect, but the way we do it now, there is a lot of room for error. Of course, the biggest problem is that most people tend to ignore that error when they run good, thinking instead that they are just a higher winner, or at least the interval that their winrate should fall in is higher than it really is, and then they think they're a 1 in a million case when they start to run just as bad. If I get really bored and people are actually interested I'll try to put together my thoughts a little more coherently. But, for now, I think that makes enough sense. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 01:54 PM

Why are people so negative to Kurosh? I don't get it. The guy has 100/200 experience. I've never seen him be rude or a jerk (maybe I missed the posts) so that separates him from roughly 98% of these forums.

Kurosh, if I were you I would focus on getting back up to the bread-and-butter stakes that you know you can succeed at day in and day out. I assume this is 10/20 or at least 5/10. I would "gamble" a bit with my roll if I were you because it's not like you're a 1BB/100 winner at stakes such as 3/6 so you really don't have to fear a 300BB downswing. I would be a little more aggressive if I were you because:

a) a 300BB downswing at 3/6 is highly unlikely for a strong SH player with ample 10/20, 20/40 and higher experience;
b) you are wasting a ton of earn every day you spend wasting away at 1/2 and 2/4 and the likes rather than 5/10 and above.

You can be aggressive with your roll in different ways, for instance playing some 2/4 and some 3/6 when you only have 1000-1200 in your account. Or dabbling in 5/10 when you near 2K, 1 or 2 tables of 5/10 and the rest 3/6. Remember, 300BB downswings are much, much more likely for 1BB/100 winners than 3BB/100 winners and I'd be shocked if with focus you're less than a 3BB/100 winner at 3/6.

Just my thoughts. Best of luck.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are people so negative to Kurosh? I don't get it. The guy has 100/200 experience. I've never seen him be rude or a jerk (maybe I missed the posts) so that separates him from roughly 98% of these forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

He just posts too many sob stories and bad beat posts. His 100-200 experiance comes from running good while way over playing his bankroll. Its not a big supprise that he is nearly broke considering the way he went up.