View Poll Results: Cheers or Arrested Development
(3) Cheers 125 64.10%
(6) Arrested Development 70 35.90%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2005, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Bragging

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If they're my friends then I want them to know who to come to when they need something.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is why they think i am a garbage man [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

... because you know where to hide the bodies?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:29 AM

Don't drop any figures. Nobody other than yourself (and your boss) should ever know how much you make. No good will come of this.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:32 AM

You should drop the figures so you can get some pussy
Old 10-12-2005, 01:35 AM

i think its class-less to state ur income without being asked even in this situation....it can do nothing but cause negatives here to me: make them jealous/hateful/spiteful, make u look like an ass....make them feel bad about thier incomes/lives/living style....there is NO reason to just state what u make...none. Even if asked i dont say if in this situation or i laugh it off and say something else. If its a one on one situation and somoene is askin me directly im more inclined to tell if its someone not very close to me or my best friend - i feel more uncomfortable telling my "frequent aquaintences" up and through "good friends"

Besides...when i find out through others that a certain person has money, owns alot, etc or even if i find out from them after i have known them for some time I am more impressed and respectful of them as a person and cant be negative towards them b/c they havent flaunted it or tried to make others feel bad and are (usually) a guinuine person...aside from those who dont tell JUST for this reason (to be looked at in a good light)

bottom line...it looks tacky to me...
Old 10-12-2005, 01:36 AM

if they ask, say it's not important.

if they ask again, say it's really not that important.

when they ask a third time, say "are you sure? ok i make XXX"

then punch one of them in the face.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if they ask, say it's not important.

if they ask again, say it's really not that important.

when they ask a third time, say "are you sure? ok i make XXX"

then punch one of them in the face.

[/ QUOTE ]

doing this just makes them wanna know more...its a touchy situation i guess
Old 10-12-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think its class-less to state ur income without being asked even in this situation....it can do nothing but cause negatives here to me: make them jealous/hateful/spiteful, make u look like an ass....make them feel bad about thier incomes/lives/living style....there is NO reason to just state what u make...none. Even if asked i dont say if in this situation or i laugh it off and say something else. If its a one on one situation and somoene is askin me directly im more inclined to tell if its someone not very close to me or my best friend - i feel more uncomfortable telling my "frequent aquaintences" up and through "good friends"

Besides...when i find out through others that a certain person has money, owns alot, etc or even if i find out from them after i have known them for some time I am more impressed and respectful of them as a person and cant be negative towards them b/c they havent flaunted it or tried to make others feel bad and are (usually) a guinuine person...aside from those who dont tell JUST for this reason (to be looked at in a good light)

bottom line...it looks tacky to me...

[/ QUOTE ]

peachy is right imo

with my newfound gambling income its increasingly weird with my friends, none of them make anywhere close to what i do, and i can go out and lose what they make in a week in one hand and just pull out more and get the chip runner to go get me more. often my friends ask me how much i make and i dont want to sound like a bragging dick because im not like that at all, just when your best friend says "yeah working over the summer at an ice cream place i made 1K a month" its hard not to sound like the [censored] when you made 2K last night.

people know i play poker and are curious, and then it still can come off as bragging when i end up telling them after they've explicitly asked, i dunno.

edit- censored means a$$hole, not something else. it just looks weird when it shows up as [censored]
Old 10-12-2005, 01:50 AM

If someone asks you then say without shame or guilt. Otherwise I wouldn't feel the need to say.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
never tell people how much you make

they'll know who to come to when they "need" something

[/ QUOTE ]

SMART MAN
Old 10-12-2005, 01:55 AM

This is a good post.

I've done this recently... and the weird thing is:

1) I don't spend much money
2) I don't particularly care about money, because
3) My expenses are RIDICULOUSLY low right now.

So... it sucks... I'm kinda happy that I'm making forward progress financially, and my financial goals are pretty long term, and I'm driven to achieve them, but I'm not sure that talking about it is a good thing.

Basically, if bragging hurts your friends' feelings (makes them feel self-conscious/whatever) then it's not a good thing... and it sucks if you're a little excited and want to talk about it.

I do it, but I'm starting to feel that I shouldn't, and therefore I am going to try to stop, if only to save myself from that nagging feeling.

--Dave.

Again, thanks for the post.