Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Not you ace!

It really makes me anxious to have the ace flop. It just feels like everytime I have a hand an ace comes and ruins my plans. Oh well.. Is the river bet ok?

Hero is UTG+2 with [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K
UTG calls, 1 folds, Hero raises, UTG+3 coldcalls, 3 folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

FLOP (4 handed, 9sb):
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q
SB bets, UTG folds, Hero calls, UTG+3 calls.
TURN: [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4
SB bets, Hero raises, UTG+3 coldcalls, SB calls.
RIVER: [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8
SB checks, Hero bets, UTG+3 calls, SB calls

Well, what do you say? Thanks.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Not you ace!

Question, why wait till turn to raise?
Old 09-30-2005, 02:54 PM

Yeah, that sucks. I would raise the flop, make those two to your left call two cold, they may just fold an A. Turn and river play depend on what happens after the raise, of course. As you played it, I would have probably folded the turn, because one of the 3 of em probably has an A.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It really makes me anxious to have the ace flop. It just feels like everytime I have a hand an ace comes and ruins my plans. Oh well.. Is the river bet ok?

Hero is UTG+2 with [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K
UTG calls, 1 folds, Hero raises, UTG+3 coldcalls, 3 folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

FLOP (4 handed, 9sb):
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like you got married to KK in the face of overwhelming evidence that the hand wasn't working out. I'd see two main alternatives to consider here.

1. Fold after the SB bets on the flop. If three other people wanted to be in this hand preflop, at least one -- and probably two -- have an Ace. No amount of stomping around on your part is going to push them out. Unless you catch a third K, you're behind all the way through and just paying off a better hand. . . . It's always a shame when a premium hand doesn't work out, but part of playing them well is to let go of them when they don't work. Picking up KK (or AA) doesn't guarantee you a pot.

2. Raise the SB's flop bet. Hope that UTG+3 has an A-small and is tight/weak enough to fold it, certain that he's outkicked. Then you're isolated with the SB, who either has a heart draw or a Q or an A. He probably has an A and will beat you -- but you could call down the SB for the rest of the hand and hope that he has JJ or KQ or something that you can beat. If UTG+3 calls your flop raise -- or reraises -- get out of the hand on the turn.

In this case, it just feels like you're building someone else's pot on the turn and river.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Question, why wait till turn to raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Good question I think I misplayed this big time. I have to raise the flop so that I know where I stand. These passive players only call if they got the ace and it costs me less.
Edit: Thanks riverdood. Big time!
Old 09-30-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

FLOP (4 handed, 9sb):

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop is a tough situation and reads would really help. Some will bet here with any pair, some only with the ace. I think the turn raise is really bad, when UTG+3 cold calls preflop then overcalls the flop, I think he has an ace. The river bet is the worst street IMO, I think you are ahead like 2% of the time here.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:04 PM

Grunching

I think I fold this on the flop, man that feels weak tight [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

Think you're beaten on the flop and drawing to about 4 outs, which you don't have the odds to do I don't think.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Grunching

I think I fold this on the flop, man that feels weak tight [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

Think you're beaten on the flop and drawing to about 4 outs, which you don't have the odds to do I don't think.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's exactly how I felt: I felt if I fold I am weak tight. Well it's costly.. I think I am going to be weak tight now then [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

--Thank you so much everyone! I love these forums: you get fast, good detailed instructions. What else could you wish for?
Old 09-30-2005, 03:07 PM

My thoughts on the play in this hand pretty much reflect those of the other posters. HU, I'd probably just call down. With people behind you, you could consider raising the flop. Raising the turn is definitely bad.

As an aside, if you're going to type your HH out by hand (which is fine, or even great, since posting raw HH's is poor form), it's generally customary to write A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] rather that [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A. I find myself reading your flop as, "OK, There's the two of clubs, the ace of hearts, and the queen of...oh, wait, crap." Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind for next time.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you so much! I love these forums: you get fast, good detailed instructions. What else could you wish for?

[/ QUOTE ]

These forums are awesome bro.

When someone says "grunching" remember to take their reply with a pinch of salt. They're a newbie trying to get feedback on their opinions.