Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 11:12 AM

Default QQ & AQs overplayed here?

Well I was just getting the hang of the table. I don't really like the way I played the QQ hand. I think I need to start laying these A(KQJ)s when a tight opponent bets to me. Any help appreciated!

Hero is UTG+1 with [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q
UTG calls, <font color="red">Hero calls</font>, Everyone but MPsomething calls. (and 2 sitouts)
To the flop we go 7 handed.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A

UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets (with intention that someone raises behind and drives people out) </font>
UTG+2 calls, UTG+3 raises, everyone folds to Hero, <font color="red">Hero 3-bets (Am I just donking here? Or is this a good play to get some information? UTG+3 is a tight player) </font> UTG+2 folds, UTG+3 caps, <font color="red">Hero calls </font>
Turn (8BB):
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9
<font color="red">Hero check/calls</font>
River: [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5
<font color="red">Hero check/calls</font>

So is this a bad way to play these hands? I hate to play AQ without a draw.

Second hand:

Hero is UTG with QQ:
<font color="red">Hero calls (going for the set)</font>
Folded to MP something who raises, Button calls, sb folds, bb calls, <font color="red">Hero calls</font>

Flop:
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9

Note: MP something has done raisin PF with 55, TT and then pushed it all the way, so I figured why shouldn't I play this and make him pay for his actions.
<font color="red">Hero checks</font>, MPsomething bets, button calls, BB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, MPsomething calls, button folds.

Turn: [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2
<font color="red">Hero check/raises</font>, MPs bet/calls
River: [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K
<font color="red">Hero check/calls</font>, MPs bets

I know it's messy sorry. I couldn't get the hand information so the seats are messed [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Just bear with me ok? Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Re: QQ & AQs overplayed here?

Hand 1: Raise PF. The rest is okay. But seriously the preflop limp is just awful and may have cost you the pot.

Hand 2: I refuse to comment on this hand after you limp preflop.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: Raise PF. The rest is okay. But seriously the preflop limp is just awful and may have cost you the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK ok I get it I need to raise more [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] it just seems too bad to raise all the time when you get good cards.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:17 AM

Both of these should be raised preflop. Once the QQ got raised behind you, you should reraise. They play a lot different if you do that. The AQ hand I probably don't 3 bet, but I'm willing to get to showdown for a turn and river bet.

The QQ hand, the flop c/r is OK, but I would lead the turn. If you get raised, you can lay down. If you get called, I would check/call the river to get worse hands to bet.

But the huge mistakes are preflop.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Both of these should be raised preflop. Once the QQ got raised behind you, you should reraise. They play a lot different if you do that. The AQ hand I probably don't 3 bet, but I'm willing to get to showdown for a turn and river bet.

The QQ hand, the flop c/r is OK, but I would lead the turn. If you get raised, you can lay down. If you get called, I would check/call the river to get worse hands to bet.

But the huge mistakes are preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks ALOT! I thought my preflop play was good. Hell it cost me some money. Whew I thought my afterflop was bad but it seems that I make more mistakes preflop.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BUMP on this post.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:26 AM

You definitely want to work on your preflop play. For now, just find a good starting hands chart (like from SSHE) and follow it slavishly. Eventually you'll want to start deviating from "the chart" when circumstances warrant, but your preflop play is currently way off. You need to put the training wheels back on for now until you regain some balance.

Edit: I'm not trying to be harsh or mean. I just want to convey in the strongest possible terms that there are problems with your preflop strategy that are costing you money.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You definitely want to work on your preflop play. For now, just find a good starting hands chart (like from SSHE) and follow it slavishly. Eventually you'll want to start deviating from "the chart" when circumstances warrant, but your preflop play is currently way off. You need to put the training wheels back on for now until you regain some balance.

Edit: I'm not trying to be harsh or mean. I just want to convey in the strongest possible terms that there are problems with your preflop strategy that are costing you money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. Listen to this guy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. Listen to this guy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am listening [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. jrz1972 thanks for the input that is just what I am going to do. I think I am trying to play better than I really can at the moment [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. Gonna start playing with a chart from now on and get my PF play better.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK ok I get it I need to raise more it just seems too bad to raise all the time when you get good cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're ahead in hands gazillions of times with these two hands. At micro limits, you'll get all kinds of trash calling without raises, and even WITH raises. You need to raise these to build up the pots you're going to take down, and also to protect your hands to some extent.

I strongly recommend you read SSHE by Ed Miller and/or HEP by Sklansky.

You need to learn how to get the most value out of your hands preflop to become a good player.

T