Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: LC: One year ago (Stolen from STT Forum)

One year ago

I had exactly one large MTT win ever (as well as one FT ever), and that was almost two years ago - it was a $5 tourney with a field of 489 on 7sultans - I thought I was good, but basically I got lucky - it was also my 1st FT ever. I was playing $5 and $10 SnGs on UB almost exclusively, and was barely eeking out a profit. I didn't use any stats programs. I kept a very small bankroll online. I didn't multi-table. I frequently played above my bankroll. I donked off a giant stack in the Foxwoods WPT $565 after satelliting in.

Since

I started lurking in MTT and read HoH. Basically, I smartened up. This past year, I have won 4 online MTTs with 12 or so FTs (I still don't use a stats program - blasphemy, I know). The biggest win was a $33 on UB. My best FT was in the weekly UB $215, which I satellited into. I have no idea what my ROI is, but I know how much profit I've made - it was about 15% of my total income this year. I also made my first 3 B+M FTs, with a 10th, a 3rd, and my first win (a field of 189 in a $60 Foxwoods tourney). I still play a lot of $5 and $10 SnGs, but usually the 2, 3, or 5-table tourneys on PS. I still keep a relatively small bankroll online, and withdraw my profits to my savings account. I also frequently blow poker profits on stupid stuff. I still play MTTs above my bankroll sometimes. I never play more than 2 tables at once. I blew $465 trying to satellite into the WPT $10k event. I satellited into the Foxwoods WPT $565 again, but took a couple bad beats and finished in the middle of the pack. I am presently in the midst of a 3-month downswing/dry spell - I haven't made a FT in 3 months, and my cashes have all been pretty weak.

Really, poker is still a game to me - but a game I understand how to win. Still, I don't see myself ever taking it more seriously than I do right now. I play to have fun, and I like winning, so that's why I work on my game. There is no doubt I still play badly sometimes, but now I can recognize when this is happening. I've found that I have to be in the right frame of mind, so instead of forcing myself to concentrate, I just stop playing and go find something else to do. I do not "need" the extra money I make from playing, and I have no intentions of ever attempting to go pro.