Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 05:57 AM

Default Re: KK: Hero has no clue

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is misquoted out of Theory of Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is. I did not quote it exactly. Please explain to me why it is incorrect to loosen up your starting hand requirements in NL when the blinds are large compared to stack sizes.

One sentence answers help no one.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the blinds get large, you are getting better pot odds, and you don't need to win quite as often to be +EV due to the dead money. With 40BB stacks, you're getting 1.0375:1 to get all your money in heads-up with someone. This means you must win more than 49.07975% of the time to show a profit. And your opponent will be the one with the best hand out of your nine opponents.

If you want to see large blinds in NL, try some SNGs. Then you can move in with K8o and stuff.

edited to add: the reason it is misquoted is because you are taking a passage which specifically discusses playing limit holdem with antes and applying it to NL holdem played with blinds. In the original context, the size of the preflop bet remains constant while the pot size changes based upon the size of the antes. In NL, *you* are the one that decides what odds to give yourself to pick up the pot preflop. As the size of the blinds change, so do the size of the preflop bets. A PSR is laying you pretty lousy odds to pick up the pot no matter how big or small the blinds are.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Re: KK: Hero has no clue

I love how this thread has nothing to do with the hand that was posted.

Keep up the good work gentlemen.