Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 02:42 AM

Default JJ in EP Help me

Villian is 21/4/2. He seems like a solid, thinking player.
In retrospect, i've been getting decent cards, and raising often PF (probably around 10% since we've been sitting together.) I've thrown out a lot of uncontested c-bets, he may have picked up on this.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) converter

UTG ($100)
hero ($178.60)
MP1 ($107.70)
MP2 ($55.25)
MP3 :#A500AF(villian)/ ($92.50)
CO ($98.50)
Button ($69.90)
SB ($97.90)
BB ($36.50)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 :#A500AF(villian)/ calls $5, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls $4.

Flop: ($16.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">hero bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">villian raises to $30</font>, UTG folds, hero calls $15.

Turn: ($76.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">villian bets $57.5 (All-In)</font>, hero folds.

Final Pot: $134

I think perhaps I should have pushed or folded on the flop. By calling villians flop-raise i'm putting myself in a difficult position on the turn. By checking the turn I'm pretty much asking him to go all in.

I'm thinking Possible Villian hands : A9, TT-AA.

I feel like whenever I push in these spots, I'm always looking at QQ-AA.

?????

iash
Old 12-22-2005, 02:44 AM

Default Re: JJ in EP Help me

Have all your continuation bets been the same size? What kind of flops where you betting on? Either he thinks you FOS or he's got TT-AA. I think the flop is fold or push time, you need to decide based on your read. Tough hand.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:46 AM

Your preflop raise and flop bet are quite strong, consistent with a high pocket pair. As a 'solid, thinking player' he knows this. Fold to the flop checkraise. (I know, its hard to fold to a minraise, but sometimes you gotta.) I expect QQ, 99, 44, 22 is his range here.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:02 AM

All of my continuation bets had been roughly the size of the pot, and I was firing away at just about any flop that wasn't very scary. (such as AA2, 3 of one suit, straight draws, etc.) So it's possible he thought this was just another one of these bets.

Yeah, fold or push on the flop. I had a momentary bout of weakness and just called! I know it killed me.

My gut told me I was beat, but as DJ said, it's awful hard to fold to the minraise in this spot.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:03 AM

This is also a decent spot to check the flop.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is also a decent spot to check the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This never would have occured to me. Honestly.

No draws, no broadway, checking the flop makes sense as an option. Then what would my future action be? Call a flop bet &amp; maybe lead out on a non-scary turn? Then fold if raised?

Seems either way i'm dumping the same amount of money, and checking the flop allows someone else to take control of the hand. Plus a broadway turn/river makes me vomit.

For these reasons and others I find Jacks to be very difficult to play.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:01 AM

Villian later told me he had "top pair with best kicker".

I guess this means A9, although that hand doesn't entirely fit into his line.

Maybe I could see him raising with that hand on the flop, but he instantly pushed all-in on the turn...it just doesn't fit.

I think he was lying and more likely had a hand like the one's we have mentioned. At least that's what I'm believing, it helps me sleep better at night.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:08 AM

Villain didn't just raise the flop, he raised with two opponents still in. Your pair is no good. Fold.