Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Flop a set is this a flop 3 bet or wait til turn?

This is a pretty ragged flop here...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Button ($532.10)
SB ($265.40)
BB ($1441.20)
Hero ($410.70)
MP ($233.30)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
Hero calls $4, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($12) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $35</font>, BB folds, HERO ???
Old 12-18-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Flop a set is this a flop 3 bet or wait til turn?

[ QUOTE ]
This is a pretty ragged flop here...

[/ QUOTE ]

I call and get more in on the turn. I think a three bet will scare off a lot of lesser hands you can still get more from later.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:35 PM

I call flop, call (or bet if he checks again) turn, and raise river most of the time. Calling the flop checkraise and raising the turn makes your hand very transparent.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I call flop, call (or bet if he checks again) turn, and raise river most of the time. Calling the flop checkraise and raising the turn makes your hand very transparent.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm running cold or villain is an observant nit I will call a smallish turn bet. If villain is a LAG and weak bets the turn, I will at least raise it to a pot bet. This would only be a minraise and a lot of times sets off the LAGs [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2005, 03:20 PM

I would flat call flop and and check-raise turn, but not massively. I think TPGK gives you call, especialyl with fishy players. I dont like threebet on flop because then you scare off a lot of hands and might lose the bet you almost certainly pikc up on turn.

If you think ch/raising turn is too obvious, flat call turn and fire 2/3 pot to pot on river. Dont check the river. Dont plan on check raising the river. A ten is not going to bet three streets.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:25 PM

Two posts of yours I've read today and you misread the hand in the OP both times.....
Old 12-18-2005, 03:48 PM

My God I'm sorry, I'm on 2+2 when this paper I'm writing gives me a headache. I'll try to be more careful. I think someone else talked abotu c/raising in the thread and that lead me to believe you were out of position. Or maybe that was another thread. Or mabye Im just an idiot.

I like a flat call on flop and a raise on the turn. If he has tens be happy for him but it looks more like 43 or a T with good kicker, something along those lines. I think he's goign to call a raise on turn with those hands, and then you can make a reasonable sized value bet on river and earn an extra bet. Calling turn and raising river would theoretically accomplish teh same thing, but I feel liek you're getting a river check whne you call a turn bet much more often than you're getting a turn fold when you raise. So when he bets turn, make a reasonable raise, then make a value bet at river, and you should be set.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:42 PM

Sorry if I came across like an ass; you clearly put some thought into your posts and that is always appreciated. If nothing else, maybe this incident highlights a slight lack of attention to details outside your control. If you are careless at the table, you can make a lot of stupid mistakes there, too. I know a few players from various live games that would be fantastic if they could just focus on the game even when they aren't in the hand. They know all the math and have good ideas about different lines available to them but don't choose the right line at the right time against the right guy because they didn't notice something he did 5 hands ago when they folded preflop.

Of course, you could be perfectly fine with all that, too, but maybe somebody else will read this and get something out of it [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2005, 05:20 PM

Read-depending. I would probably make it 90 or so here most of the time. He might have a T or an overpair and a A or K might kill your action on the turn. Against an aggresive player I only call and hope he bets strong on the turn and I can raise.